xw-p1 vs xw-pd1

dabatch

hi,

i'm a happy owner of the red falcon, but a cheap xw-p1 caught my attention lately, and i wanna know, if the synth sounds (solo and pcm) of those two are the same or not. i looked at the appendix of both, and from what i read (the names of the presets and patches), they are pretty close to each other, but i'm not sure. 

thanks.

The XW-P1 & XW-G1's are probably two of the most underrated synths on the market, and probably some of the best bang for bucks out there. 

In addition to the hex layers and deep editing the XW-P1 will give you, it will also add in the drawbar organ and 5 PIN MIDI connectivity. 

I would certainly grab it. 

• Like 2

As per Brad and Scott's postings above.

Though the sound engines of the PD1 and P1 are similar, the application and utilisation of both is different. The PD1 is obviously far better for on the fly sample triggering, drum machine and grooveboxing, whereas the P1 excels more as a traditional keyboard/ synth. 

As good as the P1's step sequencer is, the PD1's sampling ability makes it an awesome drum machine. You can load in samples from any classic or modern drum machine (and it's already pre-loaded with tons of classic drum sounds), whereas the P1's drums are fixed and non editable. 

Thus the P1 excels more at deep synthesis and editing, HEX layers, draw bar organ and having a full sized keyboard. The PD1 excels at drums, sampling/ triggering and a very intuitive interface for building rhythms and grooves very quickly. Plus it has a very comprehensive digital effects section.

If the P1 is "cheap", then simply grab it. For the power and features they offer, they undercut their nearest rivals by a large margin. They seem to sell for around $250 or so used, sometimes as low as $175, sometimes as much as $350 or more. There is still little available in the price range, new or used, that comes anywhere close to the features you can get with a P1. Therefore I say get both. Which is what I did :2thu: 

• Like 1