Video Files on Forum ×

It's a String Thing

AlenK

I'd like to draw attention to a video posted by a certain Thomas (Tom) Piggot, who is a Casio Music Forums member but hasn't posted here much. In the video he demonstrates string-playing technique on three Casio keyboards: an XW-P1, a PX-5S and a Casio PL-40R.

I'm sure you would agree he has great technique. He ought to, since he's been playing for more than fifty years. Here's a bio. It looks self-written but there can be no doubt that his professional history with synthesizers goes WAY back. He can be heard demonstrating the ARP Omni here (~1977). He plays but does not narrate. Here he can be heard demonstrating the Crumar Orchestrator (1978). He demonstrates the Synergy keyboard (circa 1982) here (side A) and here (side B). He has demonstrated at least one product for Casio (1981's Casiotone 201, here). For the last three synths he narrates the recordings in addition to playing the instruments.

His bio claims he is writing a book. I'm sure it would be a good one but I don't know if we'll ever see it.

I believe I may have posted an earlier video of his before that is also about playing string sounds, on an XW-P1. It's well worth watching again so here it is. The "It's a String Thing" video seems like it might be the "string phasing tips" that Tom promised at the end of this earlier video.

• Like 2