My new MZ-X500! :)

Appreciate the posted music/sounds. Those string sounds are pretty good.

Now, how's about a nice big FAT review after you spend two or three weeks with it? You don't have to make it 83 pages long or anything (whatever could I be thinking of?) but certainly juicy enough to fill in the largest holes most of us (ME, anyway!) have in our understanding of the instrument. Such as, how do those Versatile Tones work and sound? How does the bass synth differ from the other modes of the Hex Layer synth engine (Normal and Mono) apart from access to different waves? Stuff like that. Apparently, people want to hear the styles, too. (Who would have thought people would want to hear an arranger...arranging.)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok.  

Versatile tones:  Tones with articulations and additional instrument noise samples.  These could be triggered by velocity switching or mapped to octaves outside of the natural instrument range.  How it's implemented in a tone depends on its intended use.  Some tones are designed for keyboard play (K).  Some are for midi use (M).  A guitar for keyboard play, for example, can play normally within its natural range with fret slides or hammer-on articulations triggered by high velocity.  In a lower octave, slap noise can be triggered on those keys.  A guitar for midi use will have some major velocity switching going on with many more sound effects like various wound-steel-string fret slide noises, body slaps, harmonics, mutes and even picked strings on the headstock between the nut and tuners.  

Bass Synth: This is basically a mono mode hex layer tone with access to samples designed for bass use. Similar to how the XW synths have L and B waves for the solo synth.  Other features of bass synth are common to mono mode of hex layer.  For the first time ever, hex layer tones can be set to mono and legato, giving us the ability to slide into new notes without retriggering the envelope.  

As far as "arranger" demo's.  For me, my MZ-2000 was always a workstation first. That's the way I think of the MZ-X500.  I am not really an arranger player.  I will mostly use the pattern sequencer as a multitrack phrase looper.  Similar to how the XW step sequencers are used.  However, just to show what can be done, I might throw together a little something eventually so stay tuned.   

• Like 1