Video Files on Forum ×

DSP question..

Bachus

So the instrument has 48 channels multitimrabilty... 3 midi in a/b/c * 16 channels...

but the way i read the manuall there are only 2 dsp insert effects, shared by all active channels...

could this be the culpit of the instrument?   Or am i missing something?  

I agree Brad, but if i had to point out the weaker points of the Mz-x it would definately be the 2 insert effects for global use...

convincing guitars, DP, organ all require their own DSP..  And allmost every style has all 3 of these..  Leaving you very limited for your major sounds..

if they ever build a pro version of the instrument, they definately need to add more DSP,...  

Well...I believe this is as professional as a Casio arranger will get. The PX-560 has a similar DSP structure, if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they share some of the same core circuit boards. But two DSP effects in what is essentially a gussied-up stage piano is not as much of a problem as the same limitation on an arranger.

IMO Casio should do four simultaneous DSP (insert) effects on all pro keyboards going forward. The competition has been doing more in comparable function keyboards for quite some time.

PS. Four would be an absolute minimum in a performance synthesizer that can play four zones from the keyboard. Obviously, the more like a "workstation" a keyboard is the more desirable having more insert effects is; ideally at least one per multitimbral part (so, 16 for most keyboards). But this DOES cost money so I expect that Casio will continue to compromise the number of insert effects in favor of keeping prices down. We would like to think they have some magic that other keyboard manufacturers lack but it is really only clever engineering. :applause:

• Like 1

On 7 mei 2016 at 0:36 AM, AlenK said:

Well...I believe this is as professional as a Casio arranger will get. The PX-560 has a similar DSP structure, if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they share some of the same core circuit boards. But two DSP effects in what is essentially a gussied-up stage piano is not as much of a problem as the same limitation on an arranger.

IMO Casio should do four simultaneous DSP (insert) effects on all pro keyboards going forward. The competition has been doing more in comparable function keyboards for quite some time.

If Casio ever wants to compete with the real high end market, then they will need more then this...  The new montage for example has 2 dsp/channel..  Thats a whole 32+ for the whole instrument...

there is a way however to archieve this witouth a really huge investment for Casio, integrating external computer power...  Imagine having 32 channels audio over USB(3) up and down to your PC.. Which could give every instrument near limitless access trough a PC program supporting VST effects....   I have said it before, casio has made huge steps and is very very innovative compared to the other bigger names in buiseness...  Audio over USB combined with a high end VST wrapper and onboard controll of the (vip) would set Casio ahead of all those others...

but on the current Casio i agree with you that they all seem to be build on the same architecture, and i dont think that leaves much room for expansion of dsp within their current hardware..

maybe if they release the px-7s pro, there will be signs of new hardware, who knows? Only time will tell