Video Files on Forum ×

Mixer, DSP and tone edit differences in tone mode , performance mode , solo synth

I find so now and then something that strikes me once in a while on the XW with an "oh"

The DSP been on my exploration list for a long while because well there seems like there 

are two DSP but you only get to use one where the other is for dual usage like ""FlangReflection".

"The way I came to understand where it does it like that."

The XW controls the DSP FX differently in each of its mode when in tone mode but it also mixes the

tones differently in each of its modes for an example.

I've given an edited  Clav tone a DistPan and saved that compare it to the same clav DistPan in

performance mode (with EQ off) in tone mode the sound presence would be kinda mild soft tone

where in Performance a non edited tone get full presence in the sound its like monaural vs stereo. 

Edited tones used in Performance mode also have a different sound presence, Actually in performance 

an edited tone sounds less full then one that isn't in performance mode.

an edited tone will sound exactly the way as it is in tone mode while being used in performance mode. 

So in performance mode the XW gives two different sounds from exactly the same tone that seem to be  processed

differently by the matrix mixer. It gives a different perspective to how patches can be build with edited tones though.

So I went further in the rabbit hole and dug deeper to see how much a difference there is while mixing edited and 

non edited tones together in performance mode.

For instance when an edited tone DSP parameter is set to on and used in performance mode all the parameters

will be maintained except the DSP (there is only one DSP to use) so all sounds will use that DSP setting. But there 

those edited tone get the same full presence you also get with non edited tones in performance mode.

Well that is odd so there is less presence with edited tones in performance if you don't set their DSP on. But if you do 

their presence sound full as the non edited ones. That got interesting cause now I can use a DSP effect to concatenate

a full sound presence while still having the other tone parameters like ADSR time , Vib settings fixed as I wanted them.

I can change those by setting the knobs to that particular #CC whahahaha. <-(*thats me having fun :D *).

Well that journey got interesting I dug into the XW and it showed me what its sonic capable off. The practice I got doing 

this serves me well in digging deeper in my other synths such as the PX5S the more I learn to know the faster I can build 

something.