Video Files on Forum ×

PX-560 settings and key sound

Joeru

I'm hoping someone might have info on the following:

1. I understand the PX-560 cannot accept new samples, but is there a library or user forum with downloads of registrations or settings?

2. Is the keyboard of the PX-560 noisy when playing at a low volume compared to say, the Kawai ES8 or Yamaha CP40?

Joe

Hi Joe.

1) Currently there is a very short list of downloads for the 560 in the downloads section of this forum.  That is everything available at this time. 

2) I can't speak for those other models personally but I know many users have said that Casio's hammer action is either not as noisy or about the same as others.  I personally don't have any issues with my PX-5S. 

• Like 1

I was fond of the Kawai ES8 = 1500€ and regretted I could not afford it instead of the Casio PX-560 = 1100€ , though the latter comes with a lot more functions on board, till the day I could play them together in the shop. The main difference is the power of the speakers, the Kawai ES-8 has twice as much the power of the Casio PX-560. So I adjusted the volumes of the 2 to the same loud level. Casio PX-560 "includes" or better resembles the sounds of the Kawai ES8 and has many more (650 vs 34). I come from an acoustic upright Petrof piano, since I was a child, so I focused on the piano sound. The best Kawai piano sound is the SK5, switch to Mellow or Dolce Piano on the Casio and there you are! Same test and result as for the Strings and so on. As a further evidence I tried the basic of Casio Celviano series AP260, actually its powerful speaker system, twice as much that of the Kawai ES8, leads you to think it sounds better, while the Casio sound engine and the keyboard are the same. So, I was very glad of my purchase. As for the keyboard, you just have to get accustomed to the Casio in a couple of days, since the keys are not smooth but they are also heavier and that is once again better for me, since I come from an acoustic upright piano. I was even disappointed I could hardly feel the Kawai RH3 let-off mechanism that is typical of the acoustic coda pianos and missing in the upright and in the Casio pianos, this was the other reason why I thought the Kawai was better than the Casio before playing them together. I could feel the let-off mechanism in the Yamaha Clavinova CLP-575 = 2600€ and in the Kawai MP11 = 2300€ but these have wooden longer keys as in an acoustic piano. I tried a Korg, it was switched off, I just wanted to feel another keyboard, too soft, any digital piano keyboard makes a noise when it's switched off.

• Like 2

Simone,

I believe PX-560 can go louder than it is out of the box with factory settings. It seems there's some headroom left for processing such as EQ. Did you try the stuff I mentioned in the other thread? It applies especially to percussive instruments such as piano. Organs get much higher average SPL without tweaks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi , 

Yes I think the keyboard is a bit noisy but unless you are playing very low volume it should not be an issue. I almost didn't buy this Casio for that reason. However after playing the Korg Krome, MOXFX8 , and the Yamaha 266 ( ? ) I concluded that Casio offered the best package for me. I found the MOX to be very hard to play , the Krome with too thin keys and the Yamaha ... nicest keyboard feel BUT weighing in at over 50 lbs was not feasible for a gigging piano.

I ordered the PX5-S and the PX560 and tried them both this week. I'm keeping the PX560 cause I could play / and program it right out of the box ... great user interface & touch screen. MOXFX and PX5-S make you jump through way too many hoops to get to the reason you bought the piano in the first place" to play and create " :-))) Wish the Casio had as good of drum patches as the Yamaha but I guess you can't have everything.