PX-560M Arpeggiator

SimoneCarini

Please, report to Casio:

1. there is no trace of the Arpeggiator in the technical description of the PX-560M neither here http://www.casio-music.com/it/strumenti/pianoforti-digitali/privia-pro/px-560m/ nor here http://www.casiomusicgear.com/products/menu_privia/PX-560 while it is one of the functions that led me to choose the Casio PX-560M rather than an other model of an other brand
  2. I would like in a future upgrade of the firmware a little bit of EDIT of the Arpeggiator in the PX-560M, that contains the 100 presets as the PX-5S, though I already know the main difference between the models: the PX-5S has 4 arpeggiators fully programmable, the PX-560M has 1 arpeggiator only assignable to a part and not programmable at all

See Mike from 04'30" till 08'30"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPSVqrKvHv8

I would love for instance that you could assign the Arpeggiator to a parameter without repeating notes, it is a fact that the preset 3 = Panning already affects the CC#10 Pan and the preset 4 = Filtering affects the CC#74 Filter Cutoff (Set a Knob to the value above and see it move in a registration screen)

I am only asking, wishing it can be done, it is a fact that nobody thought that an upgrade would come in such a short time so as to fix the problem of the Drums on CH10 in the MIDI files and to add the utility Save / Load All on USB stick

• 8 months later...

I have to agree that it would be a major upgrade to have the arpeggiator programs and programmability from the PX5s on the 560. In addition, I think it would be a major upgrade to include the ability to send and or recieve midi clock on the 560. Please! I am on bended knee begging you to give us these upgrades soon.

• Like 1

The PX-560 is a strange child. Casio calls it a stage piano and indeed it functions as one, of course. But with the inclusion of built-in speakers it also functions as a digital piano for the home, especially when mounted on a CS-67 stand (as I have done). But wait, there's more. The inclusion of a 17 track sequencer (16 parts + system), accompaniment rhythms (which everyone else calls styles) and chord recognition/completion means it can also function as an arranger/workstation to an extent. And the inclusion of the Hex Layer mode means it is also a synthesizer (technically, even a ROMpler with editing is a synthesizer but you know what I mean).

But in trying to be a jack-of-all-trades it ends up being master of none. The arranger part of its personality is limited by its inability to import new rhythms (styles) or to create them from scratch. Only very limited editing of the built-in rhythms is possible. The sequencer is inexplicably missing at least one feature I consider basic (I will not rehash that). The MIDI is missing the above-mentioned MIDI clock send and receive. (I haven't checked the latter myself but I trust that surfkat actually tried it.) What other MIDI functions it may be missing is unknown because the MIDI implementation document itself is missing. (Don't tell me it shouldn't get one, not with the existence of such a document for the previous generation PX-X50 line.)

I chose the PX-560 for what it can do right now, not for what it might be able to do with a software upgrade. It was the right choice for me. However, I don't think I am unreasonable in expecting Casio to fix whatever known, high-level bugs exist in current functionality that are fixable through software, such as the strange operation of the expression pedal input.  I _hope_ but do not expect that they will add a few missing (IMHO) features here and there to current functions, such as sequencer overdub, MIDI clock in/out and alphanumeric naming of registrations. I would _like_ Casio to add a few things like arpeggiator editing, full rhythm editing (with SMF import to a rhythm) and a monophonic mode for the Hex Layer engine, all of which are extensions of current functionality and ones that are in the MZ-X500 (so Casio already has the code). While I'm dreaming I could imagine Casio adding some functions that _don't_ currently exist in the PX-560 such as phrases (again, the code exists).

But I recognize that what I would _like_ to see is just wishful thinking. And I recognize that the MZ-X500 is the current flagship model and consequently is getting the lion's share of Casio's attention with respect to support. (Let's hope even more attention is being paid to new product development!) Hence, the PX-560 probably won't get anything beyond fixes for the most obvious bugs and there's no guarantee we'll see even those. C'est la vie.

• Like 1

I finally got a chance to try some AC7 and CKF files (found them here on the forum). I couldn't find a z00 file but I don't think it matters; I think the result would be the same. From the Media menu selecting "Rhythm" does show the files in the list (I don't get the No File error message). But the Execute button that would load them stays grayed out. I see no other way to load rhythms from a memory stick. Specifically, it does not seem to be possible from the Rhythms menu, unlike how you can load MIDI files from the MIDI Recorder menu.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...