Configuring the pedals on the SP-33 pedal unit

bahman

What functions can be assigned to the pedals on the Casio SP-33 3 pedal unit (connected to a PX-560)? The out-of-the-box functions are damper/half-damper, soft and sostenuto. But can I assign other functions to the SP-33 pedals? I want to use one of the SP-33 pedals as a continuous expression pedal to control effects and so on. Is that possible? Or do I need to use an extra pedal connected to "assignable pedal" jack on the back of the unit to do that (manual page EN-10)? I was expecting the SP-33 pedals to be fully configurable and to be able to use them to actually replace the function of the "assignable pedal", but I have found no clear instructions on the manual about this.

As far as I know, it isn't possible. As a test I set both the Pedal and one of the knobs to control Volume. On the main screen I can see the value of the Volume parameter and it is changed by the knob, but not by any of the pedals. It's the same with Pedal type set to Foot Switch and Exp. Pedal. I believe the "Pedal edit" menu controls only the pedal connected to the expression pedal input. Unless Casio provides an improvement in a firmware update, a solution might be to modify the wires and connect part of SP-33 to the expression pedal socket, but that really depends on how SP-33 works in detail.

Thanks! This severely limits the usefulness of the SP-33 pedal unit. The half-damper function is only available with the SP-33 unit and it cannot be achieved by a pedal connected to the input damper pedal socket which for some reason just accepts on/off inputs. It seems it is only possible to assign a continuous function to a pedal connected to the assignable/expression pedal socket. Finally, the function of the SP-33 pedals cannot be reassigned. And I just read here that the SP-33 pedals do not not provide a full range signal output (i.e. from 0 to 127) but just three signals (something like 0/off, 64/half pedal depressed, 127/full pedal depressed). If this is true, then the only option is indeed to use an extra pedal as expression/function pedal because even rewiring the SP-33 pedals wouldn't work. It seems there were some bad technical decisions here...

Having continuous pedalling on the PX-560 is excellent news! And I did fail to find that thread about the PX-350/360 and the SP-33. Sorry. I guess I will keep the SP-33 after all and buy a dedicated expression pedal. Thanks!