AP-460 - High resonance/hum on B2/B3 frequencies

Hi,

This is my first post. I got a Casio AP-460 couple months back and from the start of the purchase, I am getting a very significant loud hum/resonance on the B2 and B3 keys. It does not come on the headphones and transfers to other keys if I transpose it, so its not a problem with the specific key. The full cabinet resonates significantly with this and its not a problem that can be overlooked, inclusion of B2/B3 in any of the chords dominates a sound and muds it.

The music store guys and casio both came to my place and checked it out and identified it as a problem. After going forth and back on replacement, Casio has taken the keyboard to their service center to first identify the problem and they say they cannot reproduce it there with their Casio technicians. I will visit the service center in person this week and verify the claim but before that I wanted to check if it could be a problem with my room acoustics, I tried moving it around in the same room but its same. I have seen the drums or snares vibrating to a specific frequency when the nearing amplifier produces it. If its something similar then are there any solutions to fix it ? I have used a Yamaha DGX 220 keyboard in the same room before but then it doesn't have all that big cabinet and the wood.

Moreover, only the upper keyboard part is taken to the service center, would the legs and the big back panel of AP - 460 would have anything to do with it ?

Will update once I visit the service center.

Thanks in advance.

I do have the exact same problem. I think it is a problem of the whole cabinet and resonance created by the whole thing. I think the room acoustics have a significant part to play, as most other pianos I've played of the same model don't have the problem. Along with that, if it is the room acoustics, then you can't exactly find much of a solution, as the service centre will not be able to pick it up, because their room acoustics are different. I actually had an old one, which I used for a month or two, and it was defective, so we got a new one. Both of those models have the same problem. So high chances are, room acoustics. The demo model I played doesn't have the problem, nor do the models without a wood cabinet. So I do think, the whole cabinet has a significant part to play, but make sure there are other replies who say so a s well.

Thanks Kevin12345. I did go to the service center today and we tested it keeping the piano on a granite platform. There were surely vibrations in the upper cabinet, but not as I saw at home, plus the room was really noisy and airy and I could not get them to put it in a quieter room. Again, I had not sent the legs and the backpanel with it , just the keyboard part, so I am wondering if the downfiring speaker makes those panel resonate or what and if I could actually reproduce it with the full cabinet ? Moving it around is a pain.

19 hours ago, Kevin12345 said:

I actually had an old one, which I used for a month or two, and it was defective

What exactly was defective with your piece ? was it the AP-460/450 ?

I think I should get the legs and the detached cabinet below to the service center and verify once.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply. 

I had a AP-450 which had various other problems, including the buzzing resonance from the B2/B3 keys. In fact, during the last week, I've noticed crackles from the speakers, and sometimes, even that the whole speakers dont work for a while, and I have to wait for a while and then play them. The resonance is extremely irritating to me, especially since playing soft passages becomes all muddy, and the pedal only makes it even worse. I am planning to get it serviced, but reading your question, I wonder if I can replicate the problem anywhere other than my house, which is a major problem. Also, do your Bb2 and Bb3 have it as well? Mine has problems with those as well. And also, if I press the Bb3 and B3 together, it sounds like a helicopter has landed near my house. Let me just see if i can get it in a recording. Are you the same Rahul Rege who subscribed to my Youtube Channel? If so, shoot me a personal message with your email, and we can discuss further if you want.

• 5 months later...