Volume controler acting as sustain effect on PX-350M

Steb

Hi everyone,

After checking the topics on this forum, I decided to post here because of a strange problem I got on my Privia PX-350M.

The volume controler seems to act as a damper pedal as well: if I play on low volume, there is no sustain, but if I play on high volume, sustain is present. The sustain comes back normal if I use a sustain pedal, but it happens everytime I change volume. That means I have to press the sustain pedal every time I want to have a different volume.

I did a factory reset, I tried turning it on with and without a damper pedal plugged, nothing seems to fix the problem. Did it ever happen to someone here? Does anyone know how to fix this without sending it to repair?

Thanks!

Yeah, it can get annoying to have sustain every time I change the volume! But everything goes back to normal after pressing the damper pedal.

The thing is, I bought it "barely used" from an online shop, I'm not sure it is under warranty.

Thanks for answering!

This is a long shot but.......it is remotely possible there is a simple connection inside that may not be seated properly. There are many ribbon connectors inside the PX350 and if even one is not seated completely strange things can result  i just repaired a non-working microkorg controller keyboard by checking this-one of the main ribbon connectors was just slightly unseated-pushed it back and bingo everything worked. 

I would also get back to the seller and make them aware of this problem since this may be a difficult thing to diagnose and repair.

The other (again remote) possibility if this is a software glitch-could be-see if the PX350 is set to auto save your settings when you turn it off and on again. If it is on....check the manual I forget which page this is described...it could be locking the software glitch so that a factory reset will not clear it. 

I also am wondering if there is something wrong with the sustain pedal jack connections since this seems to be affecting the volume, as weird as this is!

let us know what your results are if you can.

Hi Jokeyman123, I checked your PX350 mod, really interesting stuff! I now see how it looks like inside it and it will be helpful when I'm gonna check the ribbons. Unfortunately, I don't have the tools to open it (moved to a new place), so I won't be able to check if a ribbon cable is not seated well for a while.

I just checked auto setting though, it was already off.

About the sustain jack connection, do you think it could be a possibility? Considering only changing the volume overrides the sustain value, but not the other way around (fortunately, if it was that would have been a nightmare). If this is it I guess I would definitely have to send it back somehow to get it fixed.

Thak you for all of those suggestions, I'm glad I was able to boggle your minds with that surprising feature!

Oh also, I realised that if I try to play a minute without pressing on the sustain pedal, the sustain goes up without reason! This is actually way more annoying than what I thought, I'm going to contact the dealer about it.