External midi notes - local voice control?

I have a CTK-6250 and I'm curious...

While I have midi notes coming to the keyboard from my computer, I can change the voice using my software.

I understand banks and programs etc.

Everything works fine.

But is there a way to change the voice from the Casio keyboard?

It seems the voice on the display only corresponds to the local keyboard input, not to external midi notes.

It would be easier to audition different sounds locally rather than fiddling with menus on my computer.

Any ideas?

Hi and welcome to the Casio Forums. It sounds like maybe you are running a MIDI files from your PC and want to change the voice on the Casio?  My guess is the instrument selection is embedded in the MIDI file so maybe try deleting that part of the MIDI file and just use the Casio to select the voices. Without knowing the exact setup/situation that's all I got... If you can expand some more on what exactly you are doing we may be able to help some more. Cheers! 
Scott

Figured it out.

You have to go to the mixer and change the voice for the MIDI channel you are using.

If the midi notes/data are coming in on channel 3,

Go to mixer channel 3 and fiddle away.

The main display only seems to affect the voice that the physical keyboard uses.

• 2 years later...

I'm not sure if my question fits in with this topic, but I do have a related question regarding a statement in the original poster's post. I have been trying unsuccessfully for a month (with the continued help of Finale's tech support) to have Finale play the MIDI sounds on my CTK-6200. We have tried to input the numbers from the attached scan of a portion of the appendix to the Casio user manual into Finale's bank and program change numbers, but while each different attempt DOES communicate with my keyboard and change the sound, it is never the sound we have tried to program. I am using Finale 2014.5. Any advice that anyone who has experience in this area can give that might lead me to success will be more than greatly appreciated. While Finale comes with a plethora of great Garritan samples, most are orchestral, and I would LOVE to make use of the multitude of different types of sounds on my CTK-6200.

Casio CTK-6200 MIDI Sounds.pdf