How to transmit MIDI volume when selecting stage setting

smaug

A basic question which has me stumped. I have a stage setting sending to a single external MIDI zone. I have the volume set in the stage setting mixer, but I can't get the PX5 to transmit this volume as ctrl 07. The only way I can send the volume is to assign ctrl07 to a slider and manually activate the slider after selecting the stage setting - not very usable. Any ideas?

I had a PX3s at one time - that would send, via MIDI, patch number/volume/reverb depth/chorus depth. Was kinda disappointed that when I got the PX5s, it only sends MSB,LSB,patch number.

Maybe program the sound you want as close to the volume you need, then program a slider to work a range of just too soft to just too loud, like 80 - 110 on cc#7. Or, program it to be a little too loud and use a slider for cc#11, using a range that's comfortable for you. Then call up the remote sound and just touch a slider to be real close to balanced.

Hello smaug,

selecting a stage setting only transmits the bank and program change information.  It's not track information so upon selecting the stage setting, it doesn't setup how to play a particular track on an external device, it just tells the external device what instruments to choose and on what channel.  Once that's engaged, you can use the knobs and sliders and other controls to affect the midi of the external device.

If you want to change the volume, reverb, chorus, panning, etc on the external device, then you can do that by using one of the PX-5s songs and set all of the tracks (channels) to the instrument and initial settings you want.

For example, press the [Song] button on the PX.  Choose an empty song.  Press [Edit] > Song Mixer> choose your various settings > set USB out ON and/or MIDI out ON

One key part is to create a phrase ahead of time that is maybe one beat long and is empty.  Under track edit, add this phrase.  Now any time you press start select this song and press start, it will transmit all of your mixer settings for the song for those tracks that you have midi active.  That includes volume, panning, reverb, chorus, pitch, program, etc.

Thanks for the replies. I often only have about 5 sec to change sounds so a song is not doable. Looks like a slider will have to do or programming the volumes on the MIDI device to be as close as possible to give the desired balance.