Video Files on Forum ×

Best active speakers for Px 5S?

GoingCoastal

Hi Guys

Apologies if this has been done to death already. I did search the forums, but wasn't getting anything definitive. 

I'm just about to buy a PX 5S for home use initially.  I'm still learning the basics of piano playing, so don't anticipate selling out any venues, anytime soon ;)

Can anyone recommend any active speakers, for home use only, at around £200 / $300? I'm happy to buy via eBay. In fact probably will. Can't resist a bargain ;)

Thanks in advance, for any and all suggestions and advice.

If you have a stereo/hifi system at home with Line-in, you can connect it to your PX-5S. There are also quite inexpensive micro stereo systems with Line-in/AUX-in out there for around 150 bucks that can do the job. For home-use only it is great and you get extra usage (CD player, radio, MP3 player, even NFC).

For a compact portable speaker I use the Roland KC-110 which has 'stereo' sound. US street price is around $350. It's only 30 watts, but very cleanly deliver a good acoustic piano or mellow EP sound in a small room. With this limited power, the low end does fairly well (in a small room) with a Bass split...(however, pushing the volume can get the amp to break up a bit on Bass). The KC110 can be battery operated (sim. to 5s) for busking; although power is limited to 20 watts.

- amp also has XLR for vocal input.

I do single, duo gigs in small venues....I ALWAYS bring this amp and also an Ibanez compact Bass Amp (300w) to fill out the 'bottom' of the sound, which I can slave to the KC-110. These will  totally fill out the sound in a small club.

For me when gigging, bringing two Amps is key (provides for backup), since I had one fail a while ago...and was able to get thru gig with the other. Same issue with Keyboards on 'decent' gigs. I have a backup PX-5s that stays in the van
( I have my 5s is so customized with tones/stage settings that my backup board HAS to be another 5s)

Really appreciate your suggestions guys. All very helpful and thought provoking.

Just ordered the keyboard,  so initially at least, will have to stick to my speakers budget

and fish about online.

Found some mint Yamaha HS7's and HS50Ms at what seem like good prices, so 

hopefully one or other will do the job.     Any thoughts on either of these?

I live in a townhouse with quiet neighbours on either side and I don't want to 

generate any animosity, so a neutral monitor is more important than how many

watts are being pushed out.

Thanks again guys and looking forward to being an active, if novice member of 

the community! ;)