Video Files on Forum ×

is there a bug with recording pads set to effect?

Mike Edwards

Hi,

Hopefully Casio can clear this up. Had mine a couple of days now but I think it's stopped behaving how it should. When I set a pad to effect and hit record, it used to record the effect as it sounded, e.g with the fx knobs in the position they were set to. So say the fx1 knob controlled speed, the sequenced pad presses would play back at the speed I recorded them at. Now my sequenced fx pad hits always play back with the fx controls on default/middle. This is rubbish as the sequence will never play back as I recorded it.

Now I know in settings you can choose whether the fx control knobs are recorded or not. However whichever setting I put it on, the undesirable behaviour is the same; the fx reinitialise each time the sequenced pad press loops.

It seems impossible to me that having the option to record the fx control knobs in settings would not result in them being recorded! Like I say, I thought it was doing it but not so sure now.

One final example. Say I had the Chopper effect assigned to a pad. You would obviously want the speed of the chopping saving in the pattern. I seemed to manage to do it before so the speed of the chopping was in time with the drums. Now when I do it, whatever was set is reset each time the pattern loops, so my pattern never sounds in time.

It's almost like i've somehow got my PD1 stuck in don't record effect controls mode!!!!!

Can anyone comment? Casio?

Kind regards,

Mike

A step sequencer will record movements of the FX knobs.  This is intended for on-the-fly control like sweeping a filter or resonance.  You want to do is adjust the DSP effect parameters once and store them for your particular pattern.  To do that, create a user DSP effect with the speed settings you need using the Trackformer studio software. ;) 

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I don't expect it to record knob movements or automation. I just thought it would store the value of fx1 and fx2 when you add or record the step. Otherwise what is the record FX knobs setting for in the Settings menu?

Kind regards,

Mike

ok well thanks for trying. On my machine, i haven't found a way to get the effect as setup with the two knobs, saved into a pattern. I have read both manuals but it doesn't seem to work in practice. For instance,

get a blank pattern

set pad to effect

choose LPF

set the fx1 knob cutoff to fully left

the cutoff will be fully closed

record a pad press

when the pattern loops the effect triggers with the lpf at 64/middle

ie it forgot that I wanted the lpf knob 1 fully left.

Even if I try to record turning the knob fully left while the pattern is recording:

It only keeps the automation if I press stop before the pattern loops

What is played back isn't what I recorded.

It sounds like it is interpolating the values from 64 to 0 and back.

Mike