Video Files on Forum ×

Certain Notes Sounding Much louder than others

I am having a serious problem with my keyboard that I can not find a solution to anywhere else.

The notes F# above middle C to B natural below middle C all are sounding much louder than the other notes. When I have the touch response activated, these notes do not respond to the change. They all sound as if I hit the key with a hammer! I need to use the touch response a lot! For sounds that don't respond to touch, it is OK. 

What is wrong with my board? I bought it in Jan 2015, so it is out of warranty. Any help you could give me would be most appreciated. 

Thank you! 

I can offer a few possibilities, but you would haet o be willing to be your own repair tech or find someone who can do this for you. since i am guessing this may be a mechanical problem.

It is rare that velocity response would malfunction in only one section if it is software related, although it's possible. If there is a factory reset on the WK try that first. But my hunch is that one section of the brackets that secure the keys with screws on top directly under the keyboard top case may have gotten loose and may be causing an unnatural response.

My XW-P1 has nylon/plastic brackets fastened over the top back of the keys inside in sections. If the Wk is the same structure as the XW, (I think it is) that is one possibility as I had to tighten these brackets once already. There is no obvious external sign this has happened, the keys look as if they are in normal position. .This would cause the keys to slam harder against the sensors under the keys since there is less restraint from the keys staying in correct position. If the keys are not anchored properly on the back end, the front end will hit harder.

The other possibility is that a section of the felt that cushions the keys below or above has worn or has detached from its mounting and is allowing the key travel to be extended and is hitting the sensors harder in that section. If the majority of your playing has been in that middle range this can happen.

I would also listen for inconsistent mechanical noises-play the keys with the keyboard off and compare the mechanical sounds of that section with the sounds from the keys that are OK. If you hear something different in the malfunctioning section, you can be more certain the cause is mechanical rather than electrical or software related.

Keep in mind these are just "educated guesses" and although I have disassembled many boards, I wouldn't recommend doing this yourself unless you have experience with keyboards specifically or are an experienced electronic "hacker"! 

Sorry for the long-winded reply, but hope this helps.

Thank you! I will check for the mechanical noises as you suggest. My guess is that I will probably need to have it repaired. :(  I am pretty tech savvy, but I would need to see the schematics and see someone do it before I would attempt doing it myself. 

• 8 months later...

Not sure how the keyboard "fixed" itself - so my guess is it was an electronic issue not a mechanical issue. That single key though: That sounds like a sensor issue on that one key. It could be something as simple as some dust or other debris in there that a good blast from a can 'o 'air will clear up, or it could be the actual sensors need to be looked at. Try the can o air and see if that helps (really blast it good from all angles with the keyboard upside down so anything in there has a better chance of falling out) --- If that doesn't work, it needs some real service.