Video Files on Forum ×

Sustain length

leftwinger

Is there an adjustment to prolong the sustain length of keys played? On my Roland, Yamaha, and other keyboards including real pianos, if you were to hold down the sustain pedal continuously and play chords, you would eventually get mush, but of course correct pedaling will give you the desired sound and effect.  On the PX5, if I hold down the sustain pedal and continue to play, the sustain doesn't last as long as I would like.  Is there an adjustment for this?

Hello,

I don't believe there is a sustain length directly related to the hold pedal, however, there is an envelope filter on all sounds where you can control the sustain and decay of a tone.  In this case, I think you would want to control the decay time; the time it takes the tone to fall from it's sustain level to it's lowest level.  You can adjust this by pressing Edit > Tone > Amp > Decay Time

You'll have to be careful with your adjustments because you could end up making the tone sound unnatural and fake.

Thanks guys for your replies.  Yes, I was talking about the piano tone, but I believe I'm using one of the GM pianos-I liked the sound of that one over the others..

Anyway, the decay is not as long as some of my other keyboards piano tones, (Kurzweil, Roland, Yamaha), and I'm trying to improve on it..I will try the amp decay..thanks again..

Update: I adjusted the decay time and its better, but alas, I'm just not satisfied with the piano tones.

It seems the pianos (other than the GM one), are bright and sustaining (for lack of a better term), in the low and high notes, but the middle notes seem to be dull and quick to fade. I've adjusted the eq but just can't seem to find a pleasing sound.  Can anyone recommend a piano tone I can download here? I guess I'm looking for something along the lines of a Yamaha or Kurzweil sampled grand..

It is the hallmark sound of the piano they sampled.  The middle octave has a pronounced attack for a strong sound that cuts into a mix when played heavy. Playing lightly will produce a more mellow sound. Its not easy to tweak that attack out of the samples with the envelope.  We've had a few people here that had trouble adjusting to the Steinway sound. I tried my best to satisfy them with tweaks. The best I can suggest is try all of the piano sounds on board and then try the downloads.  Look for ones I made too. There is a ton of variety in EQ and ambience effects that can affect the way the piano sounds. EQ too dark, and you cant hear the decay as well.  Too bright, and the attack is too piercing.  Its all about a happy middle. And switching the system settings velocity curve can help too ("heavy" might keep you from hitting the strong attack as easily), as well as the tone amp velocity sense (which can reduce the wide dynamic range that Casio has.... for getting a compressed-like sound without using compression).  

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a follow-up:  I made some changes to the compressor level (even though the compressor is 'off' ?), and yes, it gave me more sustain (duh).  I really love this keyboard for all of its features, and once I get a handle on the piano sound, I'll love it even more  :)

• Like 1

The PX-5S has what's called "stage setting filters" in system settings under the general section. These filters can prevent stage settings from changing parameters of certain things.  In other words, it's a freeze or hold function.  From the factory, master compressor stage setting filter is ON.  Turning it OFF will allow the compressor settings to change per stage setting.  

• 5 weeks later...

Another update on my update...

In attempt to refine the piano sound, I needed to hear it through the FOH speakers at our church.  I decided to play the demo and some phrases and stand out front and listen.

In order to achieve the eq,the  sound, the level, etc that I was hearing, with my playing, I found that only when I turned the 'touch' to 'off', was I able to get that same sound!

I thought my touch worked best with the normal setting, but when I turned it off, I suddenly have a much smoother, brighter but not too bright sound...interesting....