SP33 pedal+CGP700 issue

Kevinonkeys

Hi,

Just bought this unit brand new from a major online retailer, and aside from the box containing zero in the way of hardware to connect it to the existing stand, there seems to be a weird glitch wherein if I've used the middle pedal in tandem with the sustain pedal, if I then switch to just the left pedal notes continue to sustain. It seems like a glitch...but I see there have been other phantom (possibly connector or wiring) issues mentioned on a previous thread, which I've read thoroughly but doesn't seem to completely align with what I'm experiencing...thoughts, anyone?

Thank you!

Thanks, yes, I read all of that thread thoroughly and it seems to be either a different issue altogether or a different manifestation of a similar problem, not sure.

I've modified the original post to reflect my awareness of the 2015 thread on a similar subject.

Cheers,

K

if I've used the middle pedal in tandem with the sustain pedal, if I then switch to just the left pedal notes continue to sustain.  . . . 

FWIW --

The middle pedal is a _sostenuto_ pedal.   The way it's supposed to work:

. . . If a key is being held down _at the moment when the pedal is pressed_, that note will continue to sound after the key is released.  That is, the sostenuto pedal acts as a damper pedal, for notes that are sounding when it is depressed.  

. . . If a note is struck _when the pedal is already down_, it will behave as though the sostenuto pedal is not present.  Lift your finger off the key, and the note stops.

I don't know how an acoustic piano behaves when the sostenuto pedal is depressed _when notes are sounding because the damper pedal is held down_.  I suspect that -- in that case -- it will "catch" the dampers in their raised position.  So when you let go of the damper pedal, the notes will continue to sound.

If that's how your DP is acting, I don't think there's a problem.

The previous thread was about a mis-behaving pedal assembly.  Yours, sounds like it's OK.

.    Charles 

Charles is exactly right. What the middle pedal does on a real acoustic piano is to hold up any dampers that are already up. If the dampers are up because you're holding a key down, those dampers will remain raised. If all the dampers are up because you're holding down the sustain (damper) pedal, all the dampers will stay raised if you hold down the middle pedal.*

Therefore, it sounds like your middle pedal is behaving properly.

BTW, did you know that if you put the CGP-700 in Duet mode, the right pedal is sustain for the right half of the keyboard, and the left pedal is the sustain for the left half? Each player gets their own sustain pedal.

* There's a slight chance I'm wrong about this. I will double check on my acoustic piano after my wife is up and I will report back if I'm incorrect. :)

Thanks everyone for the replies!

That's really cool about Duet mode each utilizing a pedal...genius!

I'm going to research the intended functionality of all three pedals, then compare that to what's happening. I'm guessing y'all are probably right on why it's doing what it's doing.

If I do find it to be atypical behavior (and thus a likely glitch) I will report back!

Cheers,

Kevin

• Like 1