Video Files on Forum ×

"Error No Media" Problem - Are Mac Users Screwed? MIke Martin - Can You Help?

Rodan

I posted earlier today on the PX5S FB page regarding the "Error No Media" message on my PX5S. After watching Mike Martin's very clear and detailed video tutorial for downloading the 1.13 firmware (which makes absolutely no mention of the required computer platform to do so), and talking to Casio tech support and repair people, it now seems that the downloading of the firmware must be done on a PC, using a PC-formatted USB drive. In other words - Mac users are up the creek. WTF? In this day and age, the computer platform is not usually an issue when dealing with downloads for other brands of keyboards, nor is the PX5S sold with any sort of disclaimer or warning about this issue. Not cool to have a known problem (that shouldn't be happening in the first place), with an "easy" fix - BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT COMPUTER. I'm livid about this, and am waiting for Casio to get back to me. Meanwhile - has ANYONE had this issue, and has Casio taken care of you? I shouldn't have to borrow (let alone buy) a PC to get my keyboard to work properly on the gig. Casio should stand behind this instrument, and have a reasonable and free fix for Mac users.

I use a Mac and I've never had problems with setting up the USB stick and putting the correct files on it. Some Mac users have, and I don't think it's been isolated as to why.

First, format the USB stick as FAT32 or DOS or whatever Disk Utility says like that. NOT HFS+. It's easier to do the formatting on the PX-5S but this should work.

Second, if you're using Safari, under Preferences - General, uncheck "Open 'Safe' files after downloading." THEN go to Casio's site and download the update.bin file for 1.13, and put it on the USB drive. Be sure not to put it in any folder on the USB drive, just at the top level.

From there you should be able to follow Mike's directions for updating the firmware.

Let us know how it goes.

As Joe said, downloading the firmware on a MAC is totally possible.  And to add to his comments....The biggest issue I am seeing are users doing something on the MAC that causes additional characters to be added to the file name or additional file extensions tagged onto it.  The file needed must be the unzipped version and it must be named "update.bin".  No other file name will be recognized by the Casio. Make sure your computer has not altered the file name in any way.  Set the MAC so you can see the full file name to check this.  

• Like 1