Need Midi issue solved if possible

drb32856

Hello everyone. First let me say that I have owned the MZ-X500 for just a short time, and have enjoyed learning as much as I can about it. It has a lot of good things going for it. But I purchased mine to be both a backup and a new set of colors to use live on the 2nd tier of my stage setup. I use a Korg Kronos on the bottom tier and wanted a board that could fill in if the Kronos would go out for some reason during a show, and would compliment it with some custom combi sounds as well. The problem: I can't seem to figure out how to get the Casio to respond to midi from the Korg. Midi out from Korg to midi in of Casio gets me able to play the 1st upper tone, but the program change commands do nothing. I can't seem to find in the Casio docs what channel the Casio receives on or how to change it.  Has anyone here had any success using the MZ-X500 as a slave to another keyboard?  Also is there any way to save a group of sounds as "favorites" that can be recalled easily without having to scroll through all the tones subgroup sounds? I'm hoping to use the setlist mode of the Kronos to do this but if I can't get the midi to work I may need another way. Thanks  

Ok. Well the four main upper and lower parts on the MZX are channels 1 thru 4.  If you setup the Kronos to send program changes to those 4 channels you should be good. The MZX is actually 48 part multitimbral.  There are 3 ports the MZX midi in can be setup to use. Check the midi in setting for that. The performance parts use port A. 

As far as setting up favorites, there is no function for that per say. You could either use registrations to save tone setups or write favorite tones to user tone areas in the order you want.  If tones are saved to usb, they can be loaded into any user category. So you can combine everything into one area.  I think the hex layer section has the most user tone slots.  

Thanks for that information. I was having trouble with the way things were labeled vs the way Korg labels things. The Kronos has space for 3 #S for sounds/programs like 027 or 025 while the Casio uses 4 0001, 0134. And bank information is kinda tricky. Played the first gig with the Casio and I had figured out the registration trick you mentioned just hours before the show, but was able to get a few key sounds set up on registration pads 1,2,3 bank 10. The USB trick is next for me. Sounds like it will be great for live use.

• 2 years later...