Video Files on Forum ×

LK280 finger guide

Peppe

The music within the LK280 has finger guides: what finger to use on each key.  I write midi files from music note books, using the free PC-program Anvil Studio. They work fine in my LK280. Keys light up. But I do not know how to add finger guides. Do you know?

Peppe

I apologize for being so long in replying to your post, but I have been searching for a thread, on this forum, dealing with this, or a similar topic, that several of us participated in two or three years ago.  So far, I have been unable to find it.  I know we discussed how to get external MIDI files to light the keys, and how to get the "pause" feature to work, but I can not remember if we discussed the Finger Guide in the display panel.  So, I have been doing a lot of experimenting with my WK-225.  It shares all the lesson/learning features of your LK-280, with the exception of the key lights.  Like you, I have been unable to get an external MIDI file to activate the Finger Guide.  Just like we did several years ago, I have had to do a lot of surmising.  Casio provides no information on those internal Song Bank files, what-so-ever.  By the fact that they are played back by the keyboard's Song Recorder, I know they are MIDI files - Casio proprietary MIDI files, and stored in the keyboard's permanent read-only memory, but MIDI files just the same.  I recorded a "play-along" file and ported it to my computer.  I changed the ".sl7" file extension to ".mid", but so far, have been unable to get any of my DAW sequencers to open it, so that I can take a look at it.  I am betting that, if I could, I would find, not only the left and right MIDI "note" tracks, but one or two additional tracks of special MIDI data for driving the Finger Guide display.  That has led me to the following conclusion.  There is no way a MIDI file could "know", on its own, which particular finger should play which particular note, and I doubt very much that Casio would go to the expense of equipping the Song Recorder with a playback "look-ahead" parser so that it can "see" what is coming and thereby make a decision on which particular finger should be playing which particular note.  Rather, I believe that the Finger Guide display is driven by special MIDI data that has to be separately "programmed" into the file, for that particular song, by the file designer.  That is to say - MIDI files provided by the user do not have access to the Finger Guide in the display.  As I said earlier, I have done a lot of surmising on this, so if there is anyone with more accurate information, I invite them to join in here and enlighten us all.

Regards,

Ted

Thanks for your answer! So you are sure that the internal songs are midi files. My idea was that they are binary files, but that my keyboard also can read midi files. Good news to hear that they are midi files, because it means that finger guides can be added, if Casio reveals the secret