Basic questions about the sound engine.

jpm92

Hello, after a week toying with some of the stage settings and tones I found in this forum, I can't help wondering how those are made.

I can understand what making a stage setting means: you take the already present tones in the keyboard and mix them somehow in layers, or zones, till you get the sound you are looking for with the knobs and wheels desired setup. But I have also seen new tones...how do you create those? I assume that for instance, the tones of the APs are actual recordings of someone playing a real piano, but I guess that's not what you do when you create tones. I've been digging in the drawbar organ sounds and I was wondering how you guys managed to simulate the harmonics that the drawbars were representing.

This is for my curiosity sake, but I'd really like to know.

Thanks in advance,

Jesús.

Hello,

I'm no sound engineer but my very basic understanding of synthesis suggests there are a few different things going on.  When it comes to emulated instruments, for the most part, the main essence of the tones are sampled (recorded digitally) at different intervals for the specific instrument.  Based on the key played, the sample that has been related to that "range" will sound at a particular frequency.  The electronic sounds (like saw, triangle, pulse, organ sounds, harmonics) may be created by or acted on by algorithms.  These may include different types of amplitude or frequency modulations that may aid in producing harmonics or other effects.  Then there are filters that can be applied to shape the tone.  Put the tone through some digital effects and you have another layer to influence the sound.

The user of the PX-5s cannot change the original design of the sounds.  The user cannot resample or apply any real synthesis to existing tones.  The user can adjust the various envelopes, and do some amplitude modulation using the ring modulator, and layer tones on top of each other, but cannot actually invent or create a new sound.  The user can only alter certain qualities of the original sounds.  These can be saved as user tones. 

The combinations of effects and settings may create a tone that sounds completely different than the original, but the waveforms themselves are not really being changed.