Any news on the software editor for the MZ-X series?

CoreyW

I too would like to know the answer to this! Also training videos and or webinars to help those of us that are new to the Casio way of doing things move forward quickly. I love my MZ-X500, but it is so frustrating to figure some things out that are not well covered by the manufacturer in manuals. If Casio wants to be considered by more players, they need to address these things as quickly as possible.☺

14 hours ago, BradMZ said:

Keep checking the forums for the latest.  As soon as we know something, we'll let everyone know.  If you have any questions on how to use the MZ-X, feel free to create a thread for it.  

Thanks BradMZ. The problem with creating a thread is that at this time there is not a sufficient user base to answer some of the most technical questions and other than you and a few others everyone is at the same level of know how. I think as the user base grows and people begin to find out how to get the best from the MZ-X boards, the threads will become more viable and useful.  

Thank BradMZ!!  I don't have any problems at the moment. I just like to use the software editors as most times software editors provides more visibility and also allows you access to other parameters which may not be available on the unit itself.  For example, I did some sampling with the pads on the MZ and noticed the MZ seems to only allow adjustment to the start position of the sample and not the end.  This begs the question of whether or not the MZ automatically truncates the end of the sample?  I was hoping there would be more editing tools available in the software for sample editing.  In other words, being able to trim the sample at the end for more control.  Understand, I already used Audacity to sample what I needed and trimmed it to size there.  Then, all I did was connect the computer audio output to the MZ and set the AUTOSTART function to ON, but there is still some lag at the start and end of the sample when it was recorded.  When you set it to LOOP, you can hear the silence and I'm assuming that since I was able to trim the start point in the MZ that the problem was at the sample end.  I tried using the Loop Timing function within the MZ to try to eliminate it, but to no avail.  I thought the editor might have better control features for sample editing.

Yes, that is similar.  But, I had to play with the loop timing and loop timing unit to eliminate it.  But, it kinda now interrupts the sample length.  I'm gonna play around with it some more to try and see if I can get it better.  Did you notice that when he sampled the pattern into the MZ, and played it back before he actually saved it, you'll notice that the end of the sample is different then after he saved it.  It's like the loop timing is cutting it off at beat 4 and recirculating it from there.  It doesn't seem like the MZ is playing back the entire sample when he hits the pad.  Am I wrong or am I missing something here?

11 hours ago, CoreyW said:

Yes, that is similar.  But, I had to play with the loop timing and loop timing unit to eliminate it.  But, it kinda now interrupts the sample length.  I'm gonna play around with it some more to try and see if I can get it better.  Did you notice that when he sampled the pattern into the MZ, and played it back before he actually saved it, you'll notice that the end of the sample is different then after he saved it.  It's like the loop timing is cutting it off at beat 4 and recirculating it from there.  It doesn't seem like the MZ is playing back the entire sample when he hits the pad.  Am I wrong or am I missing something here?

Yes I had noticed that little discrepancy. ;)   Am messing about with the Loop Timing Unit.  

"... you'll notice that the end of the sample is different then after he saved it. "

Verified that difference by sampling my singing a quick 'doh-ray-meh' scale, (within the three-second time-out). After saving, when looped, the end of my sample is clearly chopped.  Unless it is user error of course, as this is early days and am still a novice.

This is not a gripe, folks -  just discovering what the MZ-X500's sampler is capable of so's to work within the limitations. Didn't really expect a fully-fledged sampling workstation (like Fantom G6) at this price point.  That said, I am very pleased indeed with this great keyboard and look forward to the new software update. cheers.   

But wish somebody had told me that the SAMPLING button of the PAD CONTROLLER isn't actually *the* sampler but is a percussion sample player. :) :banghead:     Eagerly waiting for the big OS update.  Cheers. 

GoneLoopy.JPG

Edited by Lobbard
adding image

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/07/2016 at 2:16 PM, CoreyW said:

Thank BradMZ!!  I don't have any problems at the moment. I just like to use the software editors as most times software editors provides more visibility and also allows you access to other parameters which may not be available on the unit itself.  For example, I did some sampling with the pads on the MZ and noticed the MZ seems to only allow adjustment to the start position of the sample and not the end.  This begs the question of whether or not the MZ automatically truncates the end of the sample?  I was hoping there would be more editing tools available in the software for sample editing.  In other words, being able to trim the sample at the end for more control.  Understand, I already used Audacity to sample what I needed and trimmed it to size there.  Then, all I did was connect the computer audio output to the MZ and set the AUTOSTART function to ON, but there is still some lag at the start and end of the sample when it was recorded.  When you set it to LOOP, you can hear the silence and I'm assuming that since I was able to trim the start point in the MZ that the problem was at the sample end.  I tried using the Loop Timing function within the MZ to try to eliminate it, but to no avail.  I thought the editor might have better control features for sample editing.

Hi there, pardon my late response: 

Regards the sampling 'chopped loops' issue, I have been spending time on this, trying all the permutations I can think of, and have reached the conclusion that it can't be done on this machine.  Looks like lopped looped samples are normal behaviour.  :-(   Would be welcome news if someone could prove otherwise!   

Like you, I have been checking that my short samples perform perfect loops when tested in Audacity, but when imported to MZ-X, the chopped ends of those samples are significant;  may I say unusable.

Looks like the single play of pad samples is best workaround,  just tapping the pad for a repeat.  ...Rather wish I had not rushed into parting company with my old Roland SP-404SX  :-) 

keep trying though, eh. 

On 7/26/2016 at 8:16 AM, CoreyW said:

Hi Corey.  The MZ-X Sample Manager computer app has been released. This is only designed for user tones, not the pad sampling.  It allows the user to convert wav and aiff files to Casio ZTN (tone) files with embedded sample data.  This makes use of the flash expansion memory in these keyboards.  (128mb for MZ-X300, 256mb for MZ-X500).  Each user tone can have up to 128 samples total (16 splits x 8 velocity layers).  Each sample in the tone can be about 8.9 seconds long.  In the application, imported stereo files can be summed to mono or imported as left or right channel.  Creating stereo hex layer tones with new samples is possible as well.  By creating two user ZTN tone files, one for left and one for right, their embedded sample data is then available as left and right waves for use in a hex layer tone.  

The system they have created is insanely powerful.  I'm blown away. 

For pad sampling, wav files can be directly imported to the MZ-X from usb thumb drive.  (Requires firmware V1.31 or greater).  Audacity is the best way to go for preparing external samples for the pads. It allows you to precisely trim the start and end point of the sample as well os other useful effects like normalizing.  You can then export your sample as a 16 bit 44.1 wav file to usb thumb drive and then load it into the MZ-X from there using media>load>sample. As long the created wav file is within the maximum allotted time for pad samples, the end will not be truncated.  (9 seconds maximum for long samples, 3 seconds max for short).  During loop playback, however, there are some additional things to consider.  Pad settings on the MZ-X (loop timing unit, loop timing, keyshift and system tempo) must be set accurately.  Incorrect settings can cause silent gaps if your sample is shorter than the loop and it can cause a truncated sample if the sample is longer than the loop.  All of this needs to be taken into consideration in order for everything to work as planned.  

I've tried all of this on my MZ-X500 and it works great. ;)   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BradMZ said:

Hi Corey.  The MZ-X Sample Manager computer app has been released. This is only designed for user tones, not the pad sampling.  It allows the user to convert wav and aiff files to Casio ZTN (tone) files with embedded sample data.  This makes use of the flash expansion memory in these keyboards.  (128mb for MZ-X300, 256mb for MZ-X500).  Each user tone can have up to 128 samples total (16 splits x 8 velocity layers).  Each sample in the tone can be about 8.9 seconds long.  In the application, imported stereo files can be summed to mono or imported as left or right channel.  Creating stereo hex layer tones with new samples is possible as well.  By creating two user ZTN tone files, one for left and one for right, their embedded sample data is then available as left and right waves for use in a hex layer tone.  

The system they have created is insanely powerful.  I'm blown away. 

For pad sampling, wav files can be directly imported to the MZ-X from usb thumb drive.  Audacity is the best way to go for preparing external samples for the pads. It allows you to precisely trim the start and end point of the sample as well os other useful effects like normalizing.  You can then export your sample as a 16 bit 44.1 wav file to usb thumb drive and then load it into the MZ-X from there.  As long the created wav file is within the maximum allotted time for pad samples, the end will not be truncated.  (9 seconds maximum for long samples, 3 seconds max for short).  During loop playback, however, there are some additional things to consider.  Pad settings on the MZ-X (loop timing unit, loop timing, keyshift and system tempo) must be set accurately.  Incorrect settings can cause silent gaps if your sample is shorter than the loop and it can cause a truncated sample if the sample is longer than the loop.  All of this needs to be taken into consideration in order for everything to work as planned.  

I've tried all of this on my MZ-X500 and it works great. ;)   

Great stuff, BradMZ!   Finally grasped the basics now, thanks to your full information.  

Success in loading a bank of 2-second synth loops from my Kaossilator.  Used Audacity to convert them from higher 48 sample rate to  44.1 sample rate,  used names like K120C(for the bpm and key) then a number.  Checked my little toys were still there after a keyboard reboot., no problem.   Cheers. 

+

AWESOME!!  And thanks BRADMZ for the other information about the PAD sampling.  I tried looking for an import feature for a WAV file, but maybe I missed it in the menu?  Using Audacity I did exactly what you suggested and setup the WAV file, but could not find the import function.  I had to sample the WAV file, which is why I think I was having problems.  I'll have to take a look again.  Just in case (and also if I'm just insanely blind here LOL), where is the import function located?

1 hour ago, BradMZ said:

Make sure firmware V1.31 is installed on the MZ-X.  Then press media>load>sample. 

Yes, in the Audacity program:     File / Import / Audio

In Casio MZ-X context:       Media / Load / Sampling

Thanks guys...I'm an idiot...LOL!!  I just downloaded the update and read the documentation and seen that WAV file load was an added feature.  So, I wasn't missing something :)

Also, the overall update really expands what you can do with the MZ-X.   I can't wait to get into it!!!

Lobbard:  Using Audacity I could import the sample without any problems.  I'm usually very proficient with computers.  It was in the MZ-X that I couldn't find the import function.  Thanks for the clarification though!  Much appreciated :banana: