Video Files on Forum ×

PX-360 Output

BAHH

Hi y'all for my first post.

The 360 seems to have a very low output via the TRS(stereo).

I've connected via my RME Babyface interface and the output level is extremely low even at maximum volume on the 360. What is the output level as can't find any mention in the manual?

Any experienced folks set me straight on what I should do to achieve a good recording to my interface.

Many thanks

Bri

• 2 months later...

Validating what Joe is saying, TRS is not a stereo output, if that is what this is. TRS is the same configurstion as a 3-pin grounded DIN (XLR) plug, but uses a "stereo" type phone plug instead of the older 3-pin DIN/XLR standard configuration. So the impedances will be much different, depending upon whether this is truly a "TRS" output or a stereo headphone output. TRS is similar to a line-out impedance whereas a stereo headphone output is rated to a lower impedance-typically 600 ohms used by professional equipment (mixers primarily and low impedance pro headphones). I use stereo cables with TRS jacks, but these will only provide a monophonic output to my recorders and mixers per cable, just as would a standard line-out cable. The purpose of these is to keep out unwanted "spurious" interferences from othe signal sources, such as radios, ground hum and other rfi (but not drunk sound engineers :P)!

• Like 1

Hey there and welcome to the Casio forums. Let's first figure out what outputs you are using: the headphone or the line outs -- I'm with Joe in thinking you are using the headphone jacks. So try the line outs and also try using different cables. If all else fails, you may need to stick a pre-amp of some kind in there to boost the signal- a cheap mixer will work. Good luck! 

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the information.

I'm connected L&R to my RME Babyface via TRS (balanced) output on 360 >XLR inputs on the Babyface

For some reason, you aren't supposed to add any gain to the Babyface on the inputs from instruments as this is reserved for microphone gain only.

I really do not understand why and they won't answer the question as I think it is assumed that I should know why by the folks on that forum.

From what I gather, if you increase gain on the input it puts too much strain on the AD convertors so you should just leave this at 0dB and the

level should come from the instrument itself. This is why I was trying to find the output level as it is very quiet at full volume when I record via the Babyface.

I have no other issues with the volume from the onboard speakers or headphones.

While I'm here, can someone tell me how I can bypass the onboard effects while I'm recording via USB. I cannot for the life of me, find an off switch.

Brian

1) What do you mean recording via USB? PX-360 does not support USB audio.

2)  "bypass the onboard effects"  - Which effects exactly? You can control level of effects such as reverb, chorus for each channel individually through the mixer ( see the manual - it is simple ).

12 hours ago, sslyutov said:

1) What do you mean recording via USB? PX-360 does not support USB audio.

2)  "bypass the onboard effects"  - Which effects exactly? You can control level of effects such as reverb, chorus for each channel individually through the mixer ( see the manual - it is simple ).

Guessing he mean the USB flash drive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2016 at 4:25 AM, Scott Hamlin said:

Guessing he mean the USB flash drive.

Exactly, thanks for spotting that it could only mean one thing :)

Just to clear up, I meant two balanced TRS cables, L&R to provide a stereo output.

Can I ask if anyone else connects their PX directly to an audio interface or is there a better way to obtain a clear loud recording?

1 hour ago, BAHH said:

Exactly, thanks for spotting that it could only mean one thing :)

Just to clear up, I meant two balanced TRS cables, L&R to provide a stereo output.

Can I ask if anyone else connects their PX directly to an audio interface or is there a better way to obtain a clear loud recording?

I always run it into a mixer first to boost the signal.

Just a little clarification.
Recording audio via USB - Some(many) boards provide support  of USB-audio.
This basically means that the board serves as a sound card(with certain extensions) for PC.
It is very convenient feature when you work with DAW (and not only).

You also could record via USB MIDI tracks on PC (which is not applicable to this subject).

As per sslyutov's posts-I'm thinking another question-what computer are you interfacing to? Different computers use different sound card-the Creatve soundblaster was the standard from the beginning-but I'm guessing varying brands of internal soundcards, whether a laptop built-in or desktop card might have different levels of gain internally-in other words, some computer soundcards may be more or less efficient and this will effect how loud your recording will be-it will not be totally dependent upon the keyboard or USB interface. Try recording with a different computer if you have one. I know the gain on each of my laptop's internal soundcards are not all the same. This might have something to do with this, just guessing!

Hi Jokeyman,

I'm using an external interface over USB by a German company called RME.

If someone could help with where I can find the output level of the PX 360 then I can find the appropriate device to bring the level up to work well with my interface.

I'm guessing it is consumer line level (-10dBu) as it is really low so I need a line level shifter to bring it up to standard.

Or a mixer if Scott Hamlin can recommend one at a decent price for the job?

So it seems that the output is unbalanced and the manual doesn't mention if balanced or unbalanced. 

Output 1.8v means very little to quite a few non pros and I still feel I need to get my head around it

I've been hooking this up to balanced inputs hence the TRS cables and not TS. 

I think I now need some kind of contraption that will convert an unbalanced signal to a balanced line level signal so that I can connect balanced cables to my interface.

Can anyone recommend such witchcraft?

Best way to go is recording audio to the flash drive. The quality is really good with no degradation of the signal.

Using the L&R outputs to my interface is just bad quality. This could be due to unbalanced signal going to balanced input, I dunno, some noise at the start of each recording but this clears up after first eighth note.

The cable distance is short so it shouldn't need a DI between. Was thinking of some device from Radial called D2 pro but this is £180.00 in the UK and I can't see myself spending this on a box that just balances a signal.

A small mixer might be good but I have no experience with them.

I need something that is going to balance the signal to eliminate the issues I'm having. Musing over , maybe someone will read this and throw me a bone.