Video Files on Forum ×

No Media [Error]

smithh

My keyboard has worked flawlessly since I bought it. Today I turn it on and get [ERROR] No Media. What could have caused this? It was running 1.13 installed some time ago. I have not put a USB stick into it for a long time. I have not changed any sounds. All I did was play it. Now it does not work. What do I do? I need this keyboard working today.  Please help!!! 

I was running 1.13 before. I inserted a USB stick with 1.13 and re-booted. The install began, after briefing showing the [ERROR] again. All is well after re-installing 1.13. My sounds are still in tact as well. So panic over. BUT ..... why does this happen?

• Like 1

I'm glad you got it working again!

To be honest, I think Casio is trying to determine why this happens, hence the survey. It was believed that already having installed 1.13 would prevent this issue, but there seem to have been a few cases like yours. I hope you have filled out the survey.

Meanwhile, keep that USB stick around just in case, and if it happens again document the details if you can.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

just recently happened to me a SECOND time. 

The first happened (I think) not long after I installed 1.13. If anyone reading this also looks at the survey, I was only guessing at the date of the first incident; I do kinda remember that it was after 1.13.

Fortunately for me, this last incident showed up with just enough minutes for me to drive hurriedly home to grab my computer, copy the zip onto a jump drive and scurry back (no speeding tickets, thank you for asking). The update took a very long time to install, probably because I put the .zip on the drive rather than the .bin. 

I have now bought two cheap jump drives and have only the bin on them, in case this happens again. 

Hoping there's a fix being worked on, this is a real negative to an otherwise wonderful board.

• 1 month later...

This "no media" error JUST happened again to me.  It must have been about 2 years since I updated to the new firmware.  I thought I was permanently done with that error.  Thank God I put the update on a thumb drive and taped it to a bunch of batteries.  The batteries are for if my plug ever goes bad, and the thumb drive is for, well, this exact occurence.  And yes, it took about 10 minutes for the keyboard to update.  Someone should make sure that EVERYBODY that owns this keyboard needs to have this update on a thumb drive at all times!  I love my keyboard but this was scary, happening right before a gig of course.  

David 

• 5 months later...

this is the second time this happened to me. just played a gig yesterday and glad it didn't happen then. Right now it seems to be updating with the thumb drive reinserted. It's been about 5 mins already.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and joined purely because of this error.  My PX-5s is on firmware v1.13 and has yet again encountered this "NO MEDIA" error.  It is definitely less frequent after updating to v1.13, but safe to say the underlying issue is not resolved.  Is there even any point in taking it to a service centre as I'm guessing there's not much they can do about it and it means I'll have to wait until the new year as they're already too busy.

Would love to think that someone at Casio is working on this, but as there is a solid workaround I suspect they are not putting it high on their priority list...

Cheers,

Chris (Melbourne)

My own experience had already led me to believe it was power related. The first time it happened to me, it was at an outdoor gig run by a generator, and power is often flakey in that situation. (One of our powered speakers kept shutting down, too, and it has been fine ever since.) I didn't put it together at the time, but the second time I got the error, it was with an AC adapter connector that was bent and not making solid connection (so the display LCD was flickering), and that's when I realized power was the common denominator. "Power supply" is a vague description though. In a sense, half the power supply circuitry is in the external adapter, and half is whatever is in the board that it plugs into.

At any rate, Chris, I agree, there's no reason to bring it to a service center. AFAIK, the only "fix" is to reinstall the firmware, and it's only a fix until something triggers the problem again... which may be soon, or never. Honestly, despite past comments to the contrary, I had always been skeptical that any firmware update ever "fixed" the problem, it was never listed in release notes. I suspect that simply re-installing the firmware--any version--set things right again, until there was another similar power glitch.

As for there being a solid workaround, that's only true if you know about it. I was at a gig hours away from home when it first happened. Luckily, I had a second keyboard, so I could still play the gig.

I do not know why this happens.

I used to see the No Media error before more often.

Now I switched to another brand and it helped a little bit. No No Media any more :)

Seriously, I noticed the no media error stopped happening on my PX 360.

No firmware change(there is no  such option ), it is the same memory stick. 

Maybe I have developed a certain route and unconsciously avoiding this problem.

Try to format the memory using different platforms.

I think the last time I have formatted mine on another synth from a different brand. 

I just noticed this on the PX560 2 days ago funny I just noticed these posts from the PX5s. Very odd. Switched it off, then restarted and it was fine. I am going to check my thumb drive (a new 32GB Sandisk) for signs it is counterfeit, I was sure it wasn't but never checked it.  There is a huge bunch of counterfeit thumb drives flying around thanks to Chinese vendors and others, I have a bunch of posts here already about that-which I discovered with 2 brand new thumb drives I thought were fine, just got last year. Everybody who has had this problem, download and run a diagnostic on your drive. Counterfeit drives are being made that falsely report capacity and are 3rd-tier defective, not supposed to be put on the market-and will do all kinds of weird things when you use them-and not always right away. i only noticed when transferring a large batch of files-that suddedly these were not there-the filenames appeared as if these had transferred-but the files were empty, or crashed my laptops.  No wonder-my 8GB drive was actually 2GB, and not even reading that properly-was getting read/write errors something only a defective drive would put out, and these were new drives! and I found 2 like this.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/test-and-detect-fake-or-counterfeit-usb-flash-drives-bought-from-ebay-with-h2testw/

Check this link, I use Chipgenius, I'm checking my Sandisk now. I've already run it on other thumb drives and yes it detected the 2 phonies, as well as my good ones. Could be the source of the problem. I'm also thinking out loud-if your thumb drive has been corrupted with a virus or Trojan etc., could this effect the Casio operating system? I do not know enough about the Casio code/OS used to create their system to know if this is possible. Seems like a far stretch-anybody here knowledgable enough to know? I know Casio keeps their proprietary code top-secret. Hopefully it is locked down. Anyone sticking sa thimb drive in a computer-it is possible to carry a virus etc. onb a thumb drive or SD card.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/test-and-detect-fake-or-counterfeit-usb-flash-drives-bought-from-ebay-with-h2testw/

11 hours ago, anotherscott said:

At any rate, Chris, I agree, there's no reason to bring it to a service center. AFAIK, the only "fix" is to reinstall the firmware, and it's only a fix until something triggers the problem again... which may be soon, or never. Honestly, despite past comments to the contrary, I had always been skeptical that any firmware update ever "fixed" the problem, it was never listed in release notes. I suspect that simply re-installing the firmware--any version--set things right again, until there was another similar power glitch.

Thanks Brad/anotherscott.  I'll just re-install the firmware as I'm pretty sure if a permanent solution is found then it will be heralded far and wide through this forum :)

And completely agree re the workaround too - only good if you know!

Thanks for all the replies.

• 2 years later...

This just happened to me tonight.  I was in a panic at first. Calmed down and googled the error and search took me here.  Formatted a USB stick to be sure and downloaded the firmware again after all these years.  Anyway it worked. Hope no more surprises.  My Casio PX5s has been good to me since I got it in the summer it first came out. I think that was 2013?    Don't want to buy a new unit hopefully for a couple more years.

I have a question about this. USB ports with most operating systems since Windows 7, and I think Apple OS systems are considered to be "hot swappable" although this function is not failsafe. Before that, you needed to exercise a software function that would disconnect the thumb drive or CF/SD/SM card before you physically removed, otherwise data on the drive could be corrupted or even lost.

My question-are these USB ports in the Casio Privias "hot swappable"? According to the manuals, I don't think they are. And removing/inserting the thumb drive in a computer even with OS that are supposed to be "hot swappable" doesn't always work. You can still corrupt the drive. If this happens to me again-I would save my thumb drive data to the computer-although if this data is already corrupt, I will now be copying corrupt data! Then I would reformat the drive in my operating system, then re-format it in my Privia-this would include reloading the  firmware file, not from the one that was already on your drive but starting with a fresh downloaded version, your original might have gotten corrupted at some point in the copy process, and you will not know if it is-it will still look like an "intact" file, and may function well enough to seem OK, but one tiny defect in the software routines, you are toast. USB is not as foolproof as it was supposed to be. And unfortunately, not all drives are created equal.

If the Privia USB port has a little trouble with the speed of the thumb drive-it will throw out read/write failures-again you will never detect these, except for the kinds of problems some of us are having. And a faster drive might be worse than an older slower drive. it is brain-numbing how much incompatibility there already has been with CF cards, SD cards almost every form of media has been inconsistent, even with name brands. For example-look at the world of digital photography-not all digital cards work well with cameras, it depends on the camera, the card brand, the speed and even from card to card with identical cards-read my post about counterfeit cards and thumb drives.  same with digital recorders that use cards or thumb drives-and the slightest glitch in the 5-volt power to the USB port-not that you would find it obvious-but again, a few read/write errors and "no media" will be detected. A usb port is very sensitive to not just the 5V standard-but the amperage-if it doesn't get enough "juice/amperage" it will not work at all, why I think a good beefy Casio supply is so necessary with these Privias-not sure about the PX5s with its batteries-but most Casio supplies are at least one amp-and the cheap imitations although rated at 1-2 amps, probably are not near that amount of juice, and will not provide enough power to the USB port. Look at the specs for USB power based upon the computer spec-why hubs don't work-a hub will split power among its several ports-will not be providing enough juice to power several separate USB devices. Why I wish sometimes I had stuck with my kazoo and typewriter......:banghead:

I didn't have a USB stick in when I powered it up. I haven't had a stick in for months. Just playing the instrument at night time on headphones.  The unit was last out in Feb 2020 for church before the lockdown because of Covid.   The unit is attached to a surge-protector and also has fresh AA batteries in the unit from November as a back-up.  So why my unit went funky I have no idea.  This morning I turned it on and it booted-up fine.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  If it does go on me I most likely will look at the Roland RD-88. I don't need it to run on batteries and the Roland unit has looks nice with all the sounds and built-in speakers. But I won't buy one without trying out the unit.   If space wasn't a concern I would look at a Kawai MP7SE.  Casio might get a look if they would update the PX5s unit.