Video Files on Forum ×

Playback sequencer and recording

Soljah14

Hey guys 

I've just been playing around with the Xwp1 and it's awesome. I'm having a bit of trouble understanding whether we can play back up tracks from the keyboard and record over them. I saw a video on YouTube and he managed to do it. Don't know whether he made his own beat and then played it back or it was a preset style from the keyboard. As in, the different styles e.g jazz, electro pop etc selections on the keyboard. Can anyone shed some light? I'm also having trouble trying to select from the step sequencer, the patterns available. Like can we play drum patterns/backing drums and then play over it with other instruments on the xwp1. 

Sorry for for my confusing question. Hope someone can help please

The XW-P1 has 100 preset sequences, each with 8 patterns that you can select from the eight buttons centered above the keyboard when you are in Sequence (SEQ) mode. Each pattern has up to nine tracks of notes (and four control tracks). That much you know, I'm sure. What may be confusing is that when you are making your own sequences (up to 100 user sequences) you can record into any one of those nine note tracks in real time. That is probably what you saw in the YouTube video (a link would be helpful). Each track is limited to just 16 steps but each track can select a different note timing (eighth notes, sixteenth notes, etc.), which means, for instance, that you can record into a track two bars with eighth notes or one bar with sixteenth notes. When you are recording in real time your playing will be quantized to the track's note timing.

There is a way you can make a backing track in the more traditional sense using the phrase recorder. This will record whatever you are playing on the keyboard, with whatever tones you have arranged in the four zones when you record the phrase in Performance (PERF) mode. You can even simulate multitrack phrases following the method I describe on page 78 of The XW-P1 Companion, which you can download in a thread in this same forum.