Video Files on Forum ×

Chord pad - does it work like Korg keyboards?

TechnoBob

48 minutes ago, TechnoBob said:

Hi all

Does the MZ-X500 allow the pads to store a chord directly from the keyboard like the Korg Karma / M3 / M50 / Kronos / Oasys keyboards?

Thanks in advance...

Hi, TechnoBob,   ... Rich F's short vid here might be useful to you @ 00:48 mins onward?

Thanks for that MZipper. However, that only shows the built-in preset chords. I was asking about adding new chords directly from the keyboard, like Korg keyboards do - funnily enough, here's Rich again from his Korg days demonstrating what I mean:

Korg M3- Chord Assign- In The Studio With Korg with Rich Formidoni

Thanks in advance...

PS

How do you add an embedded Youtube video?

26 minutes ago, TechnoBob said:

Thanks for that MZipper. However, that only shows the built-in preset chords. I was asking about adding new chords directly from the keyboard, like Korg keyboards do - funnily enough, here's Rich again from his Korg days demonstrating what I mean:

Korg M3- Chord Assign- In The Studio With Korg with Rich Formidoni

Thanks in advance...

PS

How do you add an embedded Youtube video?

Ah, yes, I'm unsure on that one, better to wait until somebody more sensible happens along. :) 

I owned a Korg PA900 for a while,  recall making regular use of that instant chord memory.  But as I recall, there was some gripe (probably mine) that the chord memory couldn't be saved and used elsewhere.  This was couple of years back, so maybe they upgraded the OS now. 

How did I embed the YouTube vid?     I use Google Chrome, (if that's relevant),   just opened a second window to find the YouTube vid, then clicked and copied the number at top left of the that page (starts with https.... then pasted that directly into my post. 

cheers

18 minutes ago, TechnoBob said:

Thanks MZipper, that's what I did with the link to the Korg video, but it just shows as a text link! Oh well 😕

Aye, it's a strange do, is that.  Could be a signal for you to c-c-come to Casio. :)

Here's another one just for luck: 

OK  MZipper - thanks for that ????? 

As for coming over to Casio, over the last 35 years I've owned a Casio VL-1, Casio PT-30, CT-410V, Casio Casio CZ-101 and finally the mighty CZ-5000! But this MZ-X500 is light years ahead of those keyboards, its just a shame its not easy to track down in the UK to try out - hence all my questions in this forum!

How are you getting on with creating/converting styles on the MZ-X500?

11 minutes ago, TechnoBob said:

OK  MZipper - thanks for that ????? 

As for coming over to Casio, over the last 35 years I've owned a Casio VL-1, Casio PT-30, CT-410V, Casio Casio CZ-101 and finally the mighty CZ-5000! But this MZ-X500 is light years ahead of those keyboards, its just a shame its not easy to track down in the UK to try out - hence all my questions in this forum!

How are you getting on with creating/converting styles on the MZ-X500?

quote:  "OK  MZipper - thanks for that ?????"   

Sorry about that, TechnoBob, only posted it because I was told  (and verily believed at the time) that the music was played on a Casio accordion!    

Yes, I see (via PriceSpy comparison site) that Bax shop are the only UK seller at the moment and probably not a brick and mortar shop, eh?   Took a chance and got mine from Thomann, Germany. 

Mixed results with converting a few Yamaha PSR styles to Casio. Nothing instantly playable but surely an alternative to Wordsearch mags.  :-)  (just tried 'All Elements' quick approach, instead of working on individual elements) . Then again, no power player, me, so watch out when the big boys get started. 

cheers

Yes, Bax shop is the only UK retailer, but as you say, mail order only! 

Re: style conversion - how were the drums, were they more or less the same as the original? Not too bothered about the other elements - I play in a band and I supply the drums via my existing Korg PA500, the styles in that are OK but not many fit with the kind of music we play, so if i can get some Yamaha styles online and convert the drums over that will open up new horizons!

2 hours ago, TechnoBob said:

Yes, Bax shop is the only UK retailer, but as you say, mail order only! 

Re: style conversion - how were the drums, were they more or less the same as the original? Not too bothered about the other elements - I play in a band and I supply the drums via my existing Korg PA500, the styles in that are OK but not many fit with the kind of music we play, so if i can get some Yamaha styles online and convert the drums over that will open up new horizons!

TechnoBob,  sent you mail.  :-) 

10 minutes ago, Casiokid said:

,,,,and Amazon UK

Well spotted, Casiokid  ... although I see that item is marked as  'dispatched from Barcelona', it is indeed another place in the UK to order an MZ-X from. :2thu:     Even better would be these lovely keyboards in real UK shops to folk to try out. 

•  

Thanks for clarifying this BradMZ.

However, could I use a pad Phrase to do add a big chord played from the keyboard? (one day BradMZ I will come across a MZ-X500 somewhere in the UK and I can finally stop asking you all these questions!!).

Thanks in advance...

Thanks for clarifying this BradMZ.

However, could I use a pad Phrase to do add a big chord played from the keyboard? (one day BradMZ I will come across a MZ-X500 somewhere in the UK and I can finally stop asking you all these questions!!).

Thanks in advance...

Hi, TechnoBob, BradMZ, and all, great topic, cheers. 

Don't know that C Min 11th chord, but just tried recording a big chord (instead of a phrase or separate notes) and it sounds fine to me.  Whether my new chord transposes nicely is another matter, but it sure does transpose when the ACCOMP button is turned on and when a chord shape is played left hand.  

I found that pressing the pad and holding it, plays my new chord, releasing finger from the pad stops the chord.  You can also stutter the pad by quickly prodding the pad. Might this be a workaround for that missing C Min 11th chord?  

So many ways to get busy having fun on a board like this. :)

cheers, all. 

28 minutes ago, TechnoBob said:

Nice one MZipper, this keyboard just keeps on giving! I'm actually running out of things to ask now re: "can it do this or do that" 😉

Whoops!  Forgot to say, yes, my new chord plays and transposes nicely, that is, when the ACCOMP button is ON, and especially when you make your left hand chord shape before whacking the PAD.  However...

...Once the auto-accom /rhythm is playing, trying to play my new chord by hitting the pad is (ahem) rather hit and miss.  It sort of chooses its own time to join the dance.  :(  So, maybe not so much of a workaround for that lost chord if the auto accom is running.  So much for my trying to cheat by recording a chord onto a phrase pad. :)

... Hang on, what about recording a WAV sample of that big chord and including that in a MULTI pad setup? 

cheers

Might be to do with the timing of the original chord recording into the pad?

May have to look at recording timing resolution i.e. 8th/16th/32nd notes etc.

Recording an audio sample means no transposing :(

"Keep on keepin' on"!!

Hi, TechnoBob, 

Played your C Min 11th (thanks to Google), into a Pad Phrase. Phew! -  it's got a strong flavour, scared the hell of our budgie!  Had a stumble around with a few settings, (Measure / Beat / transpose etc) .but still not finding it as direct and responsive as when playing the Pad Chords or Pad Phrases proper.  As expected, couple of times it sounded rough depending what accomp chords are chosen .  Could be my playing, also. 

Learned a couple of things here, so thanks for the chance of joining in.  Will carry on tinkering. 

PHRASE.png

Scared budgie - ROFL!!

Thanks for taking the time to experiment/learn/play - I'm off on hols next week, but when I get back I AM ordering the Casio from Bax Shop as they offer a 60 day money back guarantee - just in case I do find a glaring problem that stops me in my tracks (literally speaking!).

Yes. To be clear what I was talking about, that is chord pads used to drive the auto accompaniment system.  Pads can also record phrases, which can be anything you can play on the keys.... and they will transpose when changing chords with accompaniment on.  Also note, with the upcoming firmware update pads can be set to tempo sync.