Video Files on Forum ×

CGP-700 Audio In & Comparison with PX-560

Philistine

I'm looking to upgrade my 11-year-old PX-310.  I'm considering either the CGP-700 or PX-560.

First -- On the CGP-700 how does the 3.5mm audio-in sound?  Right now I have the outputs from my audio interface hooked into the inputs on the 310 to hear pianoteq, VSTs, mp3s etc. from the computer as I play (either through headphones or internal speakers).  That works fine, and the sound is good.

Would the 3.5mm audio in on the CGP-700 sound comparable using a two mono 1/4 to stereo 1/8 Y-adapter?

Second - I'm debating whether I'd get the extra $500 (including stand) use out of the 560 over the 700.  Although I like the "wow cool" of the 560, I'm dubious that I'd do editing on it, and I'm more likely to do synth sounds/editing through VSTs.  I like the idea of the extra speakers in the 700's stand (I don't really have a great place to put monitors where I have my piano).  How much difference does AIR make to the piano sound of the 560?

Thanks!

--Philistine

Hi  Philistine and welcome to the Casio forums. 

First, re: the audio inputs. The stero 3.5mm (1/8") jack sounds just as good at the 1/4" line-ins. No difference in sound.

Second re: the PX-560 vs. the CGP-700. Besides the synth and editing capabilities, the piano sound on the 560 is more realistic. I won't get into the technical details (unless you want me to!), but the sound chip (AiR) in the PX-560 allows for more subtle details than the chip in the CGP-700 (MXi). Not that the there's anything wrong with the piano on the CGP-700, on the contrary it's quite good and uses the same "base" piano sound as the Privia's and Celvianos. So it's just a matter of the 560 being a more realistic simulation. But if you're using a VST for your piano sounds most of the time, it probably doesn't matter. 

And as you mentioned, the stand and speakers are a great addition. The PX-560's speakers are very good, but the CGP-700's 40 watt amp and speakers really pumps out some rich sound.  

It's a tough choice but the good thing is you can't go wrong with either one-- you just need to decide which one serves your needs better. 

Thanks Scott.  That's great to hear about the input.

The difference in piano sound is my main nagging concern with the 700.  Given my 11-year stint with my last Casio, I tend to hold on to them for a while, so I'd like to have the best sound I can get. 

I have played around on the 700 at GC, and I agree it is good (substantially better than my 310, unsurprisingly....)  I haven't been able to find a 560 to play--or a 360 which I understand also has the newer piano sounds.  I'm itching for a reason to get the 560, but my fiscal sense keeps nagging me.  I posted over in the 560 forum with a little more info--essentially from a realistic standpoint, I'm probably not likely to use a lot of the feature of the 560 (or I could recreate them in VSTs).  If the piano sound were substantially inferior, that'd be a deal-breaker, but my understanding is that the difference is pretty small.  I was happy enough with the 310's piano sound (supplemented with Pianoteq, mostly to extend the decay time) and the 700 sounded good when I played it.

I appreciate your thoughts.

--Philistine