Convice me I need the PX-560

Philistine

I'm looking to upgrade my 11-year-old PX-310.  I'm considering either the CGP-700 or PX-560.

I like the "gee-whiz" semi-synth aspects of the 560--but I'm concerned that I'm not going to actually use them enough to warrant the extra $500 (with stand) over the CGP-700. 

I have my 310 hooked up to the computer and have a decent collection of VSTs that I hardly use.  As it is, I use plain piano probably 90% of the time (internal sound mixed with Pianoteq), and other than that will either use a single layer or split, often internal sounds, occasionally VSTs.  Either the 700 or the 560 looks like it will make layers/splits both easier and 2 sounds per layer, opposed to 1 on my 310, which I think I will use.  I'm doubtful I'll use the editing of Hex Tones on a regular basis.  While the sounds look cool, VSTs already give me more sounds than I can reasonably use anyway. 

I'm also not likely to edit (or use) auto-arrangements--I could probably count on 1 hand the times I used them on the 310.

I like the idea of an expression pedal--but not sure it's a must-have.  MIDI jack are nice, but not crucial.  I do have concerns about the fact that there's only a 3.5mm audio-in on the 700 instead of two 1/4" jacks.  I asked about that in the 700 forum--anyone know whether the sound will be degraded by using 2 1/4" monos out of my audio interface to a single 1/8" jack using a Y-cable?

Main pluses of the CGP-700 are the speaker-stand and the price.  Would like a little better sound than just internal speakers, but I don't really have a convenient place to put monitors.

How much better is the piano sound on the 560 than the 700 with AIR?  I have tried out the 700 at GC, and it's definitely a step up from the 310.  (After 11 years, you'd hope so...)  Haven't been able to find a 560 to try out.

Convince me that I NEED the 560.  Then come over to my house and convince my wife that I need it, too....

Thanks!

--Philistine

• 2 weeks later...

Great. Let us know how you like the three-pedal unit. I will more than likely get one since I already have my 560 on the CS67 stand. (I was originally intending to MIDI it to my XW-P1 but when my wife saw it she wanted it in the family room, which then required purchase of the stand.) 

I like the 3-pedal unit.  I had it on my 310, so I'm used to it.  To me it's worth it both because of the half-damper (continuous in Pianoteq--I think) as well as it adds a bit of rigidity/stability to the stand.

I find the sostenuto pedal useful when using layered/split tones like strings, etc. to sustain long notes while still being able to play new notes without overlap.

Still have never used the soft pedal.  I wish it were configurable as a generic midi controller.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...