Video Files on Forum ×

Only 2 Shared DSP Effects?

degaff

Are there only 2 DSP effects in the MZ-X500 to share among all parts? Seems like there should be at least 4 (for the 4 parts that can be split and layered while playing). If there are only 2 how are the DSP effects allocated when using 4 parts for playing - 1 shared for upper parts and 1 for lower? Also for sequencing 2 DSP effects could be a real limitation. I've got a MZ-X500 on order - this is the first arranger keyboard I've ever purchased (also own a Yamaha MoXF - which is an effects powerhouse). The demo's I heard and the nice built in speaker system sold me on the MZ-X500. Thanks!

From the user manual ...

Your Digital Keyboard has three types of effects, each of which includes the effects described below.

A. Digital Signal Processor (DSP)
A collection of versatile Normal DSP effects help to enhance the sound of tones. For example, distortion can be 
applied to an electric guitar sound to make it sound more powerful. There are 20 different Normal DSP types, and 
the most appropriate one for the selected tone is applied automatically.

B.  System Effects (SYSTEM)
These effects are shared by all Digital Keyboard parts. The depth of an effect can be adjusted by specifying the send 
level from the part to each system effect.
• Chorus: Combines multiple layers of the same note to create a sound with more depth.
• Delay: Delays the input signal and feeds it back to create a repeating effect and give notes more breadth.
• Reverb: Adds reverberation to make it sound like you are playing in a room or in a hall.

C. Master Effects (MASTER)
These effects are applied to the Digital Keyboard master output signal.
• Equalizer (Master Equalizer (EQ)): Adjusts the master frequency characteristics. The Master Equalizer can be 
used to adjust the frequency and gain of four frequency bands: low, mid1, mid2, and high.
• Compressor (Master Compressor): Compresses the instrument master output signal. This effect can be used to 
suppress level dispersion and limit the level of the input signal so it does not exceed the setting value.

My understanding is that the (A) effects are on a per tone basis. I'll know better later today when my MZ-X500 arrives. ;-)

Thanks Rick for the quick reply. I just read on page 2 of this forum (Topic labeled DSP Question) that there are only 2 DSP part effects that are shared among all parts. I'm not sure how they are allocated when you're picking your 4 upper and lower parts, but based on that topic posting there are only 2 of them. Let me know how you like it when you receive it, I just ordered mine last night, won't get for several days.

10 minutes ago, degaff said:

Thanks Rick for the quick reply. I just read on page 2 of this forum (Topic labeled DSP Question) that there are only 2 DSP part effects that are shared among all parts. I'm not sure how they are allocated when you're picking your 4 upper and lower parts, but based on that topic posting there are only 2 of them. Let me know how you like it when you receive it, I just ordered mine last night, won't get for several days.

After doing a bit more reading it appears that each TONE can be routed to either of the two DSP effects or neither.  Fortunately the System and Master effects do not use the DSP1 or DSP2 channels.  Not sure yet how this all works with the HEX TONES. Haven't had a chance yet to read all the manuals cover to cover. ;-)

I was just looking at some other manufacturers arranger keyboards. Looks like arranger keyboards in general don't offer the insert effect counts that keyboard workstations do. Even the Yamaha Tyros 5 has only 2 insert DSP effects - and the total effects unit count for keyboard parts looks very much like the MZXs (reverb, chorus, Master EQ, Master Comp) so the Casio compares favorably in that aspect with the high end arrangers. I'm not going to complain about the MZX series FX count.

I've been looking through the manual - why if there are 2 DSP effects available would going to a layering or splitting tones disable one of the 2 effects? Pages 19 and 20 of the users guide indicates this is the case. I can't understand why this is so - when you have 2 DSP effects available and you split or layer sounds then both DSP effects should be used.

That makes sense. So if you change the DSP assignment it in the mixer it stays set that way until you change presets or registrations? And if I change tones on a part I've manually assigned the DSP to within that registration it automatically loads that tones DSP to the part? I'm thinking of playing live with a small band and not using accompaniment when that's the case - so I wouldn't want the DSP assigned to accompaniment. Can the DSP part allocation be saved in a registration?

Thanks for the help - my keyboards supposed to arrive Friday, so I'll have time over the weekend to play with it (but not too much time - my wife's birthday is this weekend and she's not going to be too happy about me getting a keyboard for her birthday, let alone doodle with it over the weekend. She might just go:chainsaw: on it.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, casiokey said:

And Casio CT-X 5000?

The CT-X series is different.  CT-X series models have 3 DSP lines and two independent system effects sources.  Like the MZ-X series, only 1 tone with DSP can be used at any given time in upper/lower parts.  Unlike the MZ-X series, a rhythm can have 2 tones with DSP effects and it's own system effects (reverb, delay, chorus) independent from upper and lower tones. Individual DSP effects are also different on the CT-X series.  A tone with a DSP effect on the CT-X series can be made of up to 4 effects algorithms (blocks) at once, where previous models like the MZ-X series was limited to 1 DSP algorithm.  The page link below has a good diagram that shows the effects system on the CT-X series.  The "conventional" diagram describes the MZ-X series and the "AiX" diagram describes the CT-X series. 

https://music.casio.com/en/products/keyboards/high_grade/ctx/features/sound_voice/