Dumping sysx message to an external sequencer from CTK-7200

Roman

Hi All!

I'm a CTK-7200 owner and I use Cakewalk Sonar for creating user rhythms. Apart from MIDI controllers, I would like to use DSP effects for auto accompaniment tracks. As far as I know, DSP effects (delay, fllanger, distortion, etc) may be enabled by using sysx data. I downloaded "MIDI Implementation Chart", but it seems to be quite hard to use it for managing DSP effects in Sonar. Usually keyboards have a function to dump pre-configured data via sysx message. I looked through CTK-7200's functions, but I couldn't find any function for dumping sysx data to external device. Do you have any ideas on this?

Thank you.

Roman

Information regarding bulk dumps begins on Page 39 of the MIDI Implementation Chart, but those dumps are limited to current system status and currently stored User Data (User Tones, User Rhythms, User DSP settings, etc).  There does not appear to be a general dump of program data stored in system firmware ROM, but there is a way to gather the data you seek, albeit a rather formidable task, as it has to be done on a tone-by-tone and/or DSP-by-DSP basis.  When an effect is assigned to a tone, it becomes a part of that tone, such that when the tone is selected, not only are the tone select codes transmitted, but also all of the codes associated with the DSP settings applied to that tone.  This applies to factory preset tones, as well as to User Tones.  The MIDI-OX software program can be used to capture the various codes that are sent, when a tone is selected.  In order to differentiate the tone select codes from DSP codes, select a preset tone with an assigned DSP for editing, remove the DSP, and save the raw tone as a User Tone.  Now select the unedited preset and use MIDI-OX to capture the codes sent, then select the raw User Tone and capture those codes.  The additional codes associated with the preset will be the codes for the DSP.  To gather info on a particular DSP effect, select a preset tone with no DSP, and add the DSP effect you are interested in and save it as a User Tone.  Again select the edited and original tones and use MIDI-OX to capture the codes associated with each.  The difference will be the DSP codes. and will include not only the DSP Type selection codes but all of the assigned parameter settings (depth, rate, timings, etc), as well.

Basically, you should be able to just record a song or phrase on the keyboard then transmit it to Sonar as you play it back, and have Sonar capture the info you want, but many DAW's (particularly Sonar) filter off and discard sysex data as it is received - unless you are using one of the integrated systems such as Yamaha wiith Steinberg/Cubase or Roland with Cakewalk/Sonar.  For that reason, I keep hoping that Casio will see the light and integrate with one of the popular DAW's.  Well . . . perhaps next year !

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted