Searching for Information on Casio PRO-300

brenan

Hello to everyone on the Casio Music Forum! 

I'm here looking for information on an old keyboard which I believe to be from the 1990s. It originally belonged to my grandmother, and now I use it in some of my music production because I like some of the sort of 90s sounds on it.

Printed on the front is a list of 100 drum rhythms, as well as 100 sound presets. It says CASIO: PRO-300 in the center, and has a LCD screen that is 4.5 cm x 2 cm which displays numbers that correspond to whatever preset one might have selected. It incorporates the use of Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) sound as well as touch response, and adaptable, built in Reverb and Delay effects. I have attached a photograph of the keyboard to this thread. 

The things I'd like to know about this keyboard are:

• How much did it originally cost?
  • What type of synthesis is used (or are they samples)?
  • When did they first begin being produced?
  • How long did they stay on the market?
  • What is it worth now?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to seeing what you all can provide!

20160817_153740.jpg

That's not a Casio model that I've ever heard of before. A search on the internet comes up with very little, just replacement power supplies. This site suggests that it was made in 1992:

http://www.pacparts.com/model.cfm?mfg=casio&model_id=PRO300&action=list_part&mode=auto&back=0

It looks as if it might be related to the early 90's  CTK range being similar in looks and using "Touch Response" to describe the velocity sensitive keyboard (see below for the CTK1000).

As to value, I doubt if it's worth much. It's not a sought after model, and likely being more digital, it's not easy to circuit bend hence not appealing to circuit benders. If it has good sounds and works for you, keep it!

Here's a picture of a CTK1000:

casio-ctk1000-electronic-keyboard-1_8102[/

• 3 months later...

Great discovery! By case and even panel word lengths the "PRO-300" seems to be identical with the CT-770 (likely an US or Japenese release). The display is LED, not LCD. On Youtube I saw a demo of CT-770 (has various sustain, reverb and echo effects. Jazz organ sounds nice, rest is sample based).

On Youtube I also saw a detailed video of a "PRO-100", which seems to be a rare CT-647 version with changed button colours. CT-647 was the only Casio with a strange letter button selection scheme called "Expert Logic". It has a chord training feature that resembles an Omnichord (i.e. only "harmonious" notes those fit to the sounding single finger chord can be played in melody section). But the sound is sample based and nothing overly great. (I own one and prefer the classic synthesized "PCM" engine known from SA-series.)

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
The Casio Pro 300 was sold in 1992 at MSRP $699.99
AD5 Power Adapter
Midi
Sustain pedal input
61 full sized keys
100 instrument sounds from 12 bit PCM
Casio fingered chord with auto harmonize function
Digital effects processor/ 8 presets and 2 user programs 
Bass refex audio system
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I don’t mean to hijack an old thread, but I wanted to ask how can I get a pdf manual for a similar model, the Casio Pro - 200?  It’s not listed on the Casio website and I can’t get a response from Casio. There’s virtually nothing out there about this keyboard. Thx for your help in advance.
Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I’d ask for help again because the Pro 200 I was waiting for arrived and it doesn’t sound.  Not even through the output/headphone jack.  Everything appears to work:  buttons trigger led indicator bulbs, metronome changes tempo, led screen changes values, but no sound.  If I knew the alternative model name I might be able to hunt down a manual and/or service manual.  Thx in advance.

Pete

5 hours ago, PeteT said:

I thought I’d ask for help again because the Pro 200 I was waiting for arrived and it doesn’t sound.  Not even through the output/headphone jack.  Everything appears to work:  buttons trigger led indicator bulbs, metronome changes tempo, led screen changes values, but no sound.  If I knew the alternative model name I might be able to hunt down a manual and/or service manual.  Thx in advance.

Pete

Pete, I've done an online search but can find virtually no information on the Pro 200 model. The only pictures I could find are poor quality and low resolution making it hard to identify the layout and features to see what other models it might be related to. It is most likely related in some way to the models Cyber Yogi mentioned above. Likely one of the 90s CTK line. Could you post a picture of yours clearly showing the panel layout? 

As for the symptoms you describe, if there is no output from the line-out, headphones or speakers, then there's likely a fault in the volume control circuit or with the internal amp itself. Check to see if there is a mute button anywhere that might be activated, though I don't think this model has one.

• Thanks 1

Chas,

Thx for the reply!  You’re right.  Info is scarce.  It doesn’t have a mute button or switch.  Here are pics.  I didn’t see anything resembling it in my Google image search.  But who knows...

I bought it from shop goodwill.com. They are kindly considering refunding me my purchase amount, but since it’s going to a good cause, I'd like to fix it and then the cash can stay with them.  Any help from anyone is greatly appreciated.  Thx again Chas!

Pete84EFAA33-29E8-4908-B2E9-E00D91A2F58F.thumb.jpeg.21f28933ae6a465cc8722d675fa7518d.jpeg84EFAA33-29E8-4908-B2E9-E00D91A2F58F.thumb.jpeg.21f28933ae6a465cc8722d675fa7518d.jpeg

5B266FD3-DE31-4CA9-8126-ABD53D8BDC91.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Wow!! Ha...who'd-a-thunk that someone else in this wild, wide world is also currently seeking info on this (admittedly) obscure model.   I take any and all kinds (manufacturers and models given that the repair work is minimal).

So, I also acquired this very same model just a few weeks ago (the PRO-200).  I'm at a loss over how very little info is out there regarding this model/series.  

I, as well, would love to find its manual; at the very least, any pertinent information regarding its  MIDI implementation.   I was going to test its capabilities as a controller/ rhythm modulator for  my MicroKORG.  

It works fine as a controller, but I'm still unsure as to whether or not its rhythm patterns can be sent (figured that maybe the patterns and associated accompaniments are programmed to separate channels-in the same fashion as some of the other casio/ Yamaha 80's-90's instruments were configured- but alas, it seems that the PRO-200's rhythm functions were not integrated into the MIDI programming).  

It's not a terrible little keyboard considering the ol' PCM bit-rate (I was amused and slightly surprised with the tone timbres)....

But dang, infomation regarding this pretty-much-milquetoast model is quite elusive (or apparently non- existent)

On 8/12/2020 at 11:12 PM, PeteT said:

5B266FD3-DE31-4CA9-8126-ABD53D8BDC91.jpeg

By looking at the buttons, rhythms and instruments, it looks like it has the features of the CT-670 (almost) but the nearly number of rhythms and instruments of the CT-655. So the manual for either model will work just fine for you, Phytochrome89.

The differences with the CT-670 are that this model has a touch response button, lacks the tone editor and pitch bend wheel, in the rhythm you can disable the bass instead of the orchestration, lacks the echo line button, and the Select button for the banks is shared on the display. This means you need to press Tone Bank 4, Select, Tone Bank 3 to get the trumpet, for example.

For example:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/358003/Casio-Tonebank-Ct-670.html

Regarding the no sound issue, any news?

15 hours ago, AndrewL said:

By looking at the buttons, rhythms and instruments, it looks like it has the features of the CT-670 (almost) but the nearly number of rhythms and instruments of the CT-655. So the manual for either model will work just fine for you, Phytochrome89.

The differences with the CT-670 are that this model has a touch response button, lacks the tone editor and pitch bend wheel, in the rhythm you can disable the bass instead of the orchestration, lacks the echo line button, and the Select button for the banks is shared on the display. This means you need to press Tone Bank 4, Select, Tone Bank 3 to get the trumpet, for example.

For example:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/358003/Casio-Tonebank-Ct-670.html

Regarding the no sound issue, any news?

AndrewL,

The sound issue hasn’t been investigated any further.  It’s been a little frustrating that even Casio can’t provide a service and/or owner’s manual.  I’m gonna try my hand at figuring out what’s wrong in a few days.  Thx for your interest and help everyone.

I guess you could open it and look for any obvious problem, like exploded condenser or damaged cable. Otherwise, I'd say any experienced electronic technician should be able to diagnose it. Here is the circuitry for the CT-670 which I assume should be similar:

https://elektrotanya.com/casio_ct_670.pdf/download.html

(After the captcha it takes around 1 minute, but the download works)

• Thanks 1

I certainly cannot assure it, but as the rhythms and tones look almost identical, I think any CT-655/656/670/680 video would work for you. The first two have 56/110 rhythms/tones, while the last two 110/220 (previous ones included), so you could say you almost have one's tones and the other's rhythms.

That’s a good point Andrew.  Thx.  I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth investing money to send it to a shop and get it repaired. I know it’s not going to have the sound capabilities of a board from today, but since I can’t play it, I’m at a loss. Shop Goodwill refunded me for my purchase, and asked me to donate it, so I may do just that.  Don’t really want more frustration with this thing.  Anybody out there want it?  If you pay for shipping it’s yours.

Pete

• 4 months later...

Hello! As a avid Casio lover, the Pro 200 is a recolored version of the Casio CT700. The Pro 300 is the CT770 which I never owned myself, and pro 100? I recognized the big rubber pads for rhythm features and the button layout, and the LED display SUNKEN IN look. The keybed of the CT700/770 is metal frame with a thicker style of plastic strip keys that are more robust than the ones of pretty all later CT and CTK models. The CT670/680 is NOT like these boards, although.. the Pro/CT700 series use a cheapie version of the CT670 rhythms and present tones. 1992 was a unique year for CASIO and I myself am in search of uber rare 1990-92 Casio models that I can not find find now. From my experiences in the past with traveling both in the USA and outside the USA, there are models that were never released to the USA market and that makes the search that much more fun.. About the no output issue, if you never fixed it(PRO 200), the volume is DIGITAL preset so forget that route. You need to check the AMP/POWER board first for: BATTERY ACID leak damage, and then, for blown, or browned components. As I said, the model IS the CT700 so you can check for a old CT700 or parts on ebay or fleamarkets,etc, for a old one/broken one for spare parts. I have a parted out CT700 somewhere in my stash of Casio parts but mine WAS dead due to battery acid damage to the circuits so I do not have a good amp board for you sadly.

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
12 hours ago, Lily Rhye said:

I know this thread is pretty old but I have a manual from a PRO-200 if anyone is still looking. 

Hi Lily!  I’m Pete.  👋🏾.  I am interested if it’s still available.

Thanks for your kindness.

Pete

Pianokeyjoe,

Thanks for sharing that information.  I still have the board.  I’ve gotten a bit dismayed with my Casio boards because of issues with keybed noise on a 9 month old MZX-500.  But I do appreciate the insight you’ve shared.  I may explore the board again and see if there’s anything there as you describe.  The first time I couldn’t see anything brown, blown nor was there any acidic residue.  I contacted a Casio repair facility in town and they were less than enthusiastic about taking it in and searching for parts so that never went anywhere.  I want to see it used again but who knows 🤷🏾‍♂️...

• 1 month later...

I actually have this same piano that I got from my grandpa. It sounds ok. I have a video on my Instagram of me playing a song with it if you are interested. Look up @dr_bodling. I decided to upgrade to one from this century though so about to toss it lol 

@PeteTI hope you can get it fixed! Yeah the mechanical noise of keys and keybeds is sadly outside the scope of most of us. I tend to reengineer my keyboards by changing the beds out with something better but that is no trivial task and at least for me, I always liked the clacking sounds of pianokeys as it added to the rhythmic playing of mine lol!

17 hours ago, pianokeyjoe said:

@PeteTI hope you can get it fixed! Yeah the mechanical noise of keys and keybeds is sadly outside the scope of most of us. I tend to reengineer my keyboards by changing the beds out with something better but that is no trivial task and at least for me, I always liked the clacking sounds of pianokeys as it added to the rhythmic playing of mine lol!

@pianokeyjoe What do you do?  I repaired the plastic housing on a PSR 8000, installed a pitch bend wheel, etc so I can probably figure it out with both some guidance.  The MZX is a killer board with loads of tech and features built in, but Casio went cheap in places where it was imperative that they install quality material:  key felt, subtly textured keys, buttons with good tactile feel, etc.  I recently revisited this board and played with a few of the samples I purchased from a member of the forum.  One in particular, Distorted Stack (electric guitar) is fantastic!  I played the power chords from Green Day’s “Brain Stew” and it sounded amazing!!!🔥💪🏾🎸 Bravo to Silvano da Silva!!!  I think I’m going to donate the Pro 200 to my local musical repair shop and cut my losses.  Thanks for your input Pianoguy and pianokeyjoe!

Pete