Video Files on Forum ×

Rechargeable batteries

RichieP

So what's the deal with the WK 7600?  I went to Radio Shack and bought 6 rechargeable D batteries, only to read in the manual afterwards that it specifically says NOT to use them! Is it because they actually don't put out 1.5 volts apiece?  Can it cause damage to the instrument? Does anyone use rechargeables in theirs?  

Hi Scott.  Wow, that was a quick reply!  Thanks!  I do a little comedy (song parody related) act and want to have a total battery operated keyboard and amp that I can just plop in front of a crowd and play for an hour.  I'm sure it would be fine for that, but don't want to damage the machine. I guess the safe is to just go with regular batteries……  Oh well, time to return these to Radio Shack (and they can't afford too many more returns!!!)     Thanks! 

• 3 months later...

Rechargeable batteries have lower voltage (1.2 instead of 1.5V) and so sound may distort at maximum volume or in worst case make the electronics crash/reset by voltage drop. But in real life this is rarely a problem, so try out if they work.

Another risk is that recharchables (particularly NiCad) have higher current and so in case of shortcircuit might cause a fire. Devices without fuse between battery compartment and PCB therefore marked by manufacturer to be unsuited for rechargeables to avoid lawsuits in the unlikely case that anything goes severely wrong. (In Chinese no-name toy keyboards I even often found tiny uninsulated switching power supply PCB dangling on flimsy cables at a mains jack, held only by a single screw with brittle post in a yoghurt cup grade flimsy plastic case. Such constructions are true arson timers. The fire risk of NiMH batteries "misused" in quality keyboards is IMO tiny compared to this. Lithium rechargeables in smartphones and tablets catch fire much easier.)

• 2 years later...

Ava

I am not certain what your point is.  This thread is about the advisability, and possible consequences, of using rechageable "D" cells in Casio keyboards against Casio's recommendation.  It does not discuss early failure of "AA" cells in any devices.  I wonder if, by chance, you are talking about early failure of "AA" cells in Blue Tooth wireless computer keyboards.  If so, then you are posting in the wrong forum, as these are forums for musical keyboards, not computer keyboards, and I am afraid that any attempted discussions along those lines would fall on very "deaf ears", so to speak; and YES, that pun was very definitely intended.

- T -

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the Casio PX5s uses AA cells.  I'm not sure I'd have to check, but I think the CZ230s and CZ101 also use AA cells. I don't have these anymore, would have to look up the online manuals. Do the newest slimline Privia 1000 and 3000 also use AA cells? D cells have a much larger capacity than AAs, I have been using the same D cells in my XW-P1 for almost a year. I don't play it constantly, but I think the D cells are giving me a much longer run time than my devices with AAs. But then, as circuitry becomes more efficient using less power, I'd be happier with AA cells since these are lighter weight. I do not like rechargeable AAs in my Casios, or in several other pieces of AA powered gear-just not enough juice, so the useful life is very short since most my devices are looking for 1.5V not 1.2 so will suck out all the power alot quicker from a 1.2V source.

I am actually now using several portable outboard rechargeable lithium packs to run my PXs-I am not recommending this as it will void a warranty product, but so far I am having no problems with any of the Casios I play. The advantage-these are outside the case so will not damage the keyboard at least, and I completely disconnect these when I'm not using the keyboards. I am also very careful to match voltage and polarity with whatever I am powering. and yes, lithiums are much more dangerous. Do not do this unless you give yourself a good education in using and misusing lithium cells. You are playing with fire, literally, no joke here.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If you want to use a big lithium battery without messing with bare cells (they are fire bombs when misused), you may consider buying a good quality smartphone powerbank and connect a stepup voltage converter to its USB port if 5V is not enough to power the keyboard.

Regard that in general I detest lithium rechargables due to fire risk, so I personally would never want to do this. But people with RasPi (hobbyist computer module) often use such powerbanks to run all kinds of homemade gadgets.

• Like 1

And now there are small rechargeable power banks that provide 9v-12v with enough amperage to run any of my keyboards and modules. I have 3, and use these, so far so good. I would definitely stick to the best quality, Cyberyogi is right-do not mess with lithium batteries which are very dangerous if you do not know (or even if you do know) WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

• Like 1