External mic inputs and transferring to Audacity

Hello. I just purchased a CTK 7200 and I will be using it to record my original music.  I've been reading a lot about the audio inputs for a mic and other instruments and I'm trying to understand how this works in relation to recording. 

Will I be able to record my main vocal and then come back and record a harmony as well via the mic output on the CTK 7200? I read a post that said you can only record one time through the outputs on the keyboard. That just doesn't seem right. 

If this is the way it is set up is there a work around? 

In addition I also use Audacity at my home studio. When I record my audio through the keyboard and save it to the SD card how will it transfer over to Audacity? Will I be able to see each individual track and have the ability to manipulate them on Audacity or will they all be on one track in Audacity? 

Thanks for any help that can be provided. 

Terence

The audio recorder in the Casio CTK/WK-7XXX models is not a multi-track recorder.  It records a simultaneous stereo pair in an "erase as it records" process, which explains why you can not add additional tracks or over-dubs on additional recording passes.  Any attempt to record additional data would erase any previously recorded data.  When the CTK/WK-7XXX units record audio to the SD Card, they do so in a Casio proprietary format to a hidden partition (that a computer's operating system can not see) on the SD Card.  The Casio Data Manager software is required to convert those files to the standard Windows WAV fornat and export them to a computer's harddrive.  Once they are imported into Audacity, you can use it to record any additional data.

For the type of recording you want to do, you might also want to consider a stand-alone digital 8 track recorder, such as the Tascam DP-008 EX:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DP008EX

You can download the Casio Data Manager 6.1 software from here:

http://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=67

Hey there and welcome to the Casio Forums! 

I suggest investing in a full featured DAW and audio interface. For a DAW,  Reaper is excellent choice. It's  easy to use, powerful and best of very affordable. You get 60 days to try it out and they don't disable any features: It's the full version. If you like it, it's only $60 to purchase. http://www.reaper.fm/

As for audio interfaces, there are plenty to choose from ranging in price starting as low as $30. 

With these two tools you will be able to record your instruments and vocals on as many tracks as you'd like, plus the Reaper DAW has some nice effects to spice things up.

Let me know if you need more help with either of these and I can't point you in the right direction. 

Good luck with your audio adventures! 

Thanks for your response tnicoson. So if I'm understanding this correctly  I can layer tracks with what I play on the keyboard however anything external I can only record once ( like voice or guitar). 

The way I see it it may be best for me to just lay down my instrumental on the keyboard and do my vocals with Audacity.

I've already downloaded the data manager. I'm going to look into the stand alone 8 track as well.  I really appreciate your help. Thanks again!! :)

Thanks for your response Scott Hamlin. I have a friend who's been telling me to upgrade to Reaper. What's interesting is he says he has a latency issue with Reaper that I currently don't have with Audacity.  I'm using an Audio interface now which then goes directly into my sound card for my mic and instruments ( keyboard, guitar). I'm concerned about creating a problem that I don't currently have however I have heard that Reaper offers a host of other benefits that are superior to Audacity.  I'm going to do the free trial and see how I like it.

Thanks again for your response. I really appreciate your help. :)