Video Files on Forum ×

Assign Transpose to a Slider on PX-5s?

Learner

On the PX-5s, can I assign the transpose function to a slider?  I want to avoid the button presses normally used to transpose / change keys, to make it easier to transpose quickly on the fly (like the dedicated transpose button on the PX-560). For example, if the slider starts in the middle position, moving it up one notch would transpose + 1 half-step; or moving it down one notch would transpose -1 half-step. If the PX-5s transpose feature can be assigned to a slider, how would I do it?  Thanks in advance.

I recommend sticking with the buttons.  It's quicker and safer than dealing with a slider.  With your left hand press SYSTEM SETTINGS and with your right press ENTER.  The YES and NO buttons are now transpose buttons.  Transpose 10 steps by holding the NUM KEY button while pressing YES or NO.  Reset to zero by pressing both YES and NO.   When your done, press exit.  It's super quick if you practice the process once or twice.    

• Like 2

Thanks Brad. That is helpful. But I am looking for a way to instantly change keys on the fly several times within a song, with only one hand (while the other hand continues playing).

Is that possible with the method you described? Would I have to press System Settings (left hand) + Enter (right hand) and Exit, every time I need to transpose?  Or can I just press SysSet + Enter (without Exit) once (e.g., before the song starts) and then only need to press Yes or No buttons to go up and down in key while continuing to play? In other words, do I have to press Exit to make the transposition take effect each time?

Also, even if it's safer to use the buttons, I would still like to know if it is possible to assign Transpose to a slider. Thanks.

Pressing system setting and enter pulls up the transpose menu.  You can stay there and adjust transpose through an entire song without exiting.  You will need to exit to change stage settings or tones.  

It's possible program a slider to transpose using NRPN and/or RPN values.  I don't remember the programming values offhand.  

One simple way to do what you want is to make stage settings with the transposed values preset. Then you just need to hit one button if they are all in the same bank (total of 10 available per bank) . Heck you can even do it "no handed" by assigning a pedal to advance the stage setting to the next one (Stage Setting Filter --> Pedal 1 or 2 ---> Stage Setting Inc. 

• Like 1

Thank you Brad and Scott. What do you think: if I'm going to be doing a lot of this type of rapid-fire on-the-fly transposition (like a different key for every verse of a song), would I be better off getting a PX-560 with the dedicated transpose button? But then I would not have any sliders. I need to decide tomorrow which one to buy: either a PX-5s or 560. I've read Casio's "Definitive Comparison" of the two, but any advice would be appreciated based on your personal experience. Thanks.