WAV file convertable into something played/triggered on the keys?

Funkmeister

Please forgive my newbie question - I'm a guitarist trying to help our keyboardist play audio samples on his XW-P1 (he's never done anything sample or sequence related before). Via the Casio data editor software I'm able to load WAV files onto an SD card, load and play them on the XW-P1. I skimmed this forum and learned that the XW-P1 does not support triggering/playing audio samples from the keys -- you have to use the player buttons. 

is it possible to convert WAV samples into something else (another format?) that the XW-P1 can load/map/play from the keys? If this has been answered somewhere, please point me in the right direction and I'll dig into the docs. I have the XW-P1 manual (limited usefulness), but I'm unfamiliar with much of the terminology so am not sure how to ask the question correctly.

Lastly, I understand MIDI basics. Our drummer has an electronic drum kit that speaks MIDI. An alternative might be to have the drums MIDI-trigger the playing of a sample on the XW-P1? This is not optimal, but something to consider I guess. 

Thanks!

-Mike

Audio samples for the most part. One example is my band covers Bruno Mars' "Locked Out of Heaven". We play the "yeah-eh-eh-eh" sample that occurs after each line in the verses, the clap sample, plus the rising pitched "woop woop woop" playing under the "you make me feel like I'm locked out of heaven". We have other songs that have multiple samples interspersed throughout the song, making it hard to hit the play button for audio samples while playing keys parts. Another example would be the "doh" sample in "Uptown Funk" mapped to multiple keys for pitch control. 

Our previous keyboardist had more powerful gear that handled all this. Our new guy has the XW-P1 plus a Casio Privia, and we're trying to figure out whether his gear can somehow handle it, or will we have to purchase a separate piece of gear to perform this task. 

Ok. Some other members here like Scott Hamlin may have more experience with this and can elaborate more. Does anyone there own an iPad or can borrow one?  That's probably the most convenient option if one is available.  The tray on the XW is made for that. You could install a sampler soundboard app, load in some samples and tap the virtual pads on the screen when needed.