Connecting Casio Privia keyboard to audio interface/software

tdsong

Hi Chuck...

I just saw your video re connecting your Casio piano to another midi device via the midi host.

Would the same be applied if I wanted to connect my Casio Privia piano to my audio interface & recording software?  That's the situation I have. 

I have PreSonus Studio One software on my laptop, and want to play the virtual instruments in it via my Casio Privia piano.  That is possible, correct?  I'm considering finding a usb midi host to see if it does work.  My backup plan would be to just purchase a midi controller keyboard should things go south.

Let me know your thoughts.  Enjoyed the video and the tops you shared.

Thanks!

Terry Davis

Terry, depending upon the model of your Privia, you may be able to connect it directly to your computer with a USB cable. The most recent Privias are class-compliant, meaning that the USB port on the back (not the one for USB drives on the front, if it has one) can connect to a computer (PC/Mac/iOS) with no driver installation needed. You will simply need a USB cable that's commonly used with printers. It will have the flat USB connector on one end and the squarish one on the other. The flat end goes in your laptop, and the squarish end goes in the Privia. Once connected and powered up, the software on your laptop should "see" the MIDI coming in from the Privia.

If your Privia doesn't have the USB port, then we will need to discuss using the 5-pin DIN MIDI port to connect to an interface that can then be connected to your computer.

• 3 months later...

Hi tdsong, 

What you are describing is possible. Just use USB cable to connect Privia to your computer.

I use Studio One with Privia.

One note - Privia supports MIDI/USB. 

Privia does not provide support of audio/USB.

This means that Privia cannot be used as an external sound card for you computer.

• 4 years later...

I have run into trouble:  I can connect my Privia to the computer directly, no problem using it as the MIDI controller. However, I want to put it through my Focusrite scarlett audio-interface.  It is now not recognised.  Any thoughts?

Jimmy

3 hours ago, Jimimcwu said:

I have run into trouble:  I can connect my Privia to the computer directly, no problem using it as the MIDI controller. However, I want to put it through my Focusrite scarlett audio-interface.  It is now not recognised.  Any thoughts?

Jimmy

Jimmy, 

To record audio you will need to connect the audio output of your Privia to the inputs of your audio interface. The Privia does not transmit audio over USB.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi there, I'm having trouble figuring out how to get audio (not MIDI) from my Privia PX S3000 to my laptop. Would something like this work? 

https://www.amazon.com/BEHRINGER-Stereo-Interface-Cable-LINE2USB/dp/B01DT827FA?th=1

The use case is this...

I'd like to take a Zoom piano lesson. Unfortunately, due to cranky neighbors, I need to play with the keyboard speakers off. I'd like to connect my Privia PX S3000 to my Mac laptop and hear what I'm playing via headphone also connected to my laptop. Then I can also try to share my laptop audio (which hopefully will be hearing what I'm playing on my keyboard) on Zoom for my lesson.

Just curious if you have any advice.

Wow, first time I've seen this type of cable-which is in reality a USB stereo audio converter cable, looks interesting, don't have one.

Yes, if the drivers install correctly, which according to its specs, these should be fine. This takes the place of connecting your S3000 audio output to the 3.5" (1/8") stereo input jack if your laptop has one, my Lenovo T520 for example does not, but most of my older laptops do which is another alternate connection cable if you don't want to buy the Behringer. 

I have a small Behringer USB module which does the same thing as this cable does-but I need to add 1/4" audio cables to the Behringer, then plug the USB connector into the laptop and it works fine, so I would think this cable will too.

Looking at my Zoom audio settings-I'm pretty sure Zoom will see the Behringer USB port as an audio input-what I'm not sure about-is whether you can use this USB Behringer to input the Casio S3000 audio-and have a live mic or singing or speaking simultaneously. For remote lessons, I have been using a USB webcam for video and audio-letting the webcam pick up my live sound that way which is not what you want to do-no speakers. I don't think Zoom can recognize 2 different sources of audio input at the same time if you are using 2 different input connections but I could be wrong. But you will be able to hear your USB audio through Zoom, if you have the audio settings in Zoom set up to "point" it to the Behringer. 

Zoom defaults to my built-in mic and camera on my laptops with one USB port connection and I have to switch the Zoom settings to recognize my external USB webcams or firewire camcorders. Ideally-if you needed to do voice-overs, and play the Casio at the same time-i would use a full USB  audio interface with both line-in and mic in jacks which now should be seen by Zoom for both mic and keyboard audio-acting as an audio mixer.  Or a small audio sub-mixer that has stereo line-outs to the computer line-in audio-so you could connect several source audio signals and have these output all through one stereo audio input. Same as the USB interface-but with the possibility of a mic or 2 input and a line or 2 audio input.

• Like 1

I was just on a videoconference last night. I checked the audio settings while I was online-I have my own Zoom account fr a few months now. The settings will let me pick either the internal laptop microphone=or an external mucrophone/webcam miucrophone-or a separate audio source (only one) and video source separately. There is a way to get 2 Zoom windows open at the same time for multiple video/audio sources-but you will need 2 separate computers connected to your single Zoom account. You can even "Zoom" within your own network with 2 separate computers running your Zoom interface and account-but i don't think that solves your problem, and only makes things more complex. Might work though-connecting the keyboard with this cable to one computer-and using a 2nd computer or tablet or even a smartphone for your voice. I use a Focusrite Scarlett which has multiple audio inputs (sorry had to leave group for awhile). with this audio/midi interface-I can get several audio sources into my one either 1/8"/3.5mm audio input on my laptops or qith this particular Focusrite-it uses a firewire cable rather than a USB. Most computers do not have firewire anymore, i kept mine that do-I still prefer it to USB but that's me. 

Thanks so much for the advice @Jokeyman123

I experimented with a two device solution where device 1 is for piano and listening, while device 2 is for speaking. Unfortunately, when I would speak through device 2, I would hear myself through device 1 but delayed. So it might be a bit distracting when trying to talk. Think I'll either have to keep alternating my microphone input in the chat or have to splurge on a mic to connect to my interface.

Oh well. This has been a great learning opportunity though.