HEX Layered Tones

Rick Stirling

Just noticed something strange with HEX Layer sounds.  If I load a HEX Layer sound like #1010 StairwyRecdr it sounds like a single flute. If I then edit it and go to the LAYERS control and toggle each layer (select a different WAV then select the original) I hear an entirely different sound.  I have V 1.31, didn't check this with earlier versions as I've only used 1.31.

Here's an example.

#1010 StairwyRecdr after powering up  1010_StairwyRecdr.mp3

Edited by toggling the layer wavs only .StairwyRecdr_ReProg.mp3

The #1010 sounds like only layer 1 is playing.

18 minutes ago, BradMZ said:

In system settings>advanced, turn off intialize by wave.

Also, it's not a flaw that some hex layer tones are only one layer initially.  Those other layers are sometimes not needed or designed to be brought in realtime by using sliders.  

Thanks Brad!

Would help to know exactly what this setting does. The Tutorial Manual is not much help.

"Init By Wave -  Parameter initialization by wave selection. Select “On” to link the envelope and  other parameters when a wave is selected or select “Off” not to link."

Link to what and what 'other parameters' ?

Interesting Rick?   Because I've noticed Tone drift on not only HEX Tones, but also unedited Tones and even edited Tones.   (ie You edit a Tone to your liking and save it, as a User Tone but when you re-boot the MZ-X500, it appears to have changed?)

The default 0001 GnPianoConcert is particularly bad at sounding different at times.  It is only by changing the Effect Algorithm to Compressor and saving it as a User Tone that any tonal consistency can be  achieved?  (ie I'm currently setting up a song that requires a good Bagpipe tone and again I am having to apply the  Compressor and adjust the Tone edit Cut-off to get some consistency between switching on/off?

After much experimentation I'm getting closer to understanding the Casio default Tones which have been the cause of my anxiety in my earlier post.

It would appear that many of the default Tones have heavily biased Pitch Mod Depth (Go to Tone Edit -Advanced-LPO -Pitch Mod Depth)  Many, for some reason, default to a Pitch Mod Depth of +08  .....which to my ears and taste is too much?..... a set value of 00 gives a more firmer sound for many Tones especially for the default 0001 GrPianoConcert and other acoustic pianos.  Perhaps this is something Casio could consider?

Similarly for the Bagpipe Tone (which I know is a difficult tone for arranger engineers to accurately emulate having previously owned Tyros and Korg even my earlier Casio Ckt 7000 Bagpipe Tone could give these manufacturers a run for their money which is also probably the same Tone as in the MZ-X500 which is now editable?)

It's a pity that the default 0001 GrPnConcert can't be changed to my preferred version in the Initial Display from boot-up?   Again a suggestion for the next Firmware Update.

I can't vouch for Rick's HEX Tone problems, but I hope something of what I've learnt and tried to explain will be of help.

Pitch mod depth is a setting that determines how deep pitch lfo is applied to a tone when the modulation wheel is moved up.  You should not hear lfo at all on a grand piano tone.  What position do you have your modulation wheel?  It should be all the way down.  Not in the middle like the pitch wheel. 

As far as default tone at boot up. Edit your piano sound and write it to a user location. Go to system settings and turn on auto resume.  Your edited piano will be there next time you turn it on.  

• Like 1

Yes, that was a strange default setting to make on the Grand Piano (it's also set on the GM Piano 1). My main issue so far with the X500 is that you can't correct the factory tone settings to your taste without giving up a User slot. Rewriting factory settings is a feature I really like on my Korgs (PA600 and Kronos) I'd even settle for a programmable index pointer function, so when a MIDI Program Change calls for GM Piano 1 you could have the keyboard use the Tone #0001 instead of #1563, in other words X points to Y

• 4 years later...

POI-the PX560 is designed the same way for "initialize by wave". Much more editing is allowed in a hex layer single tone than in a non-hex layer tone at least with the PX560. Strange but important to understand the difference. You cannot change the default factory wav used in a single factory tone although you can edit other aspects of a single tone-you can only change the basic wav if it is a tone in a hex layer. Guess its just a part of the design architecture for these keyboards.