Video Files on Forum ×

Editing Stereo grand piano sound

Chris

It is mostly a matter of personal preference.  What sounds beautiful to one person, may not sound so beautiful to another.  You can try increasing the Cutoff Frequency for a little brighter tone, or decreasing it for a darker or more mellow tone, and you can increase the Release Time a bit for a little more realistic "after strike" sustain, but not so much that it sounds like you are holding down a sustain pedal.  For piano tones, I do not usually recommend changing the Attack Time, as the tone can very quickly lose its "hammer-strike" identity, but you can try increasing it very slightly, if you want a little more mellow sound.  The Casio Tone Editors lack a Resonance control, which would add a lot to the realism of a piano tone.  Ambience can be controlled by the selection of the Reverb Type and the amount of Reverb Send, but you do not want so much reverb that it sounds like you are playing in a band shell, or across a body of water, unless, of course, that is what you are after to begin with.  A fuller sound can be had by adding a little chorus, but you have to be very careful with this, or the tone will take on a nasal or "honky-tonk" quality.  For fuller sounds, you can also experiment with layering two different piano tones with the keyboard's Layer feature.  Personally, I have never found a combination that I really cared for, but then I have never spent much time tweaking the tones that I am layering.

All-in-all, your most limiting factors will be the keyboard's limited tone editing parameters and size and quality of the basic wave samples that you have to work with.  While the wave samples in the CTK/WK models are of good quality, they are of limited size, compared to those of a stage piano, in order to provide a large sound palette at a reasonable selling price.  While you may be able to improve on the preset tones, to your ears, at least, what you devise will most likely never compare to the piano tones of, say, a PX-5S.  There is only one way to have that.

There are some user piano tones available in the Downloads section of this forum that you can try, either for your own direct use, or for studying to learn how adjusting various parameters can affect a given tone:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/category/39-ctk-wk/

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted