XW-PD1 Significant price drop.

XW-Addict

Yes, it would make a nice tone expander module, with the added bonus of being able to sample and trigger those samples from pads, much like the capabilities integrated into the MZ-X models. The only complication is the lack of 5-pin MIDI. That means some sort of adapter would be required to drive it from most MIDI keyboards (like, for example, the XW-P1). That would be an added expense.

I think I will just wait for the 76-key XW-E model (E for Extreme :D). It'll have all that built-in (he says confidently but with zero information!). 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AlenK said:

Yes, it would make a nice tone expander module, with the added bonus of being able to sample and trigger those samples from pads, much like the capabilities integrated into the MZ-X models. The only complication is the lack of 5-pin MIDI. That means some sort of adapter would be required to drive it from most MIDI keyboards (like, for example, the XW-P1). That would be an added expense.

I think I will just wait for the 76-key XW-E model (E for Extreme :D). It'll have all that built-in (he says confidently but with zero information!). 

:D you spoiled it with (E for Extreme) here I had the though to Frankenstein the PD1 with the XW. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/12/2016 at 4:06 PM, AlenK said:

Where can I find an adapter that will make me use a regular MIDI controller/keyboard to connect and sync with the XW-PD1? Also will this ensure a proper and stable connection? Is the XW-PD1 even capable of this? Thanks in advance 

7 hours ago, MIDI said:

Where can I find an adapter that will make me use a regular MIDI controller/keyboard to connect and sync with the XW-PD1? Also will this ensure a proper and stable connection? Is the XW-PD1 even capable of this? Thanks in advance 

You can hook it up to your Computer via USB and Get Start and Stop from your DAW apparently. Or you could buy a Kenton USB to MIDI adapter.

However, it has come to my attention that the PD1 does not accept actual MIDI Sync (WTF??)  just start and stop so sync will be a bit dodgy.

4 hours ago, William Herrera said:

You can hook it up to your Computer via USB and Get Start and Stop from your DAW apparently. Or you could buy a Kenton USB to MIDI adapter.

However, it has come to my attention that the PD1 does not accept actual MIDI Sync (WTF??)  just start and stop so sync will be a bit dodgy.

I was actually looking at the Kenton as soon as I asked that question lol. Well if it starts it on time, hopefully it'll keep its sync long enough for me to record it into my DAW. It gets tedious doing it manually, then cutting and lining up the files in the DAW. I'm hoping there is some way for Casio to update their USB/Midi to make it more accessible to standard midi use. I would even enjoy if they turned it into an audio interface through USB......... Wishful thinking, genie style lol. 

15 hours ago, MIDI said:

I was actually looking at the Kenton as soon as I asked that question lol. Well if it starts it on time, hopefully it'll keep its sync long enough for me to record it into my DAW. It gets tedious doing it manually, then cutting and lining up the files in the DAW. I'm hoping there is some way for Casio to update their USB/Midi to make it more accessible to standard midi use. I would even enjoy if they turned it into an audio interface through USB......... Wishful thinking, genie style lol. 

Well they just updated the MZ-X arranger to send clock so it's *possible*, but I don't know how *probable*.. it's been out for a while so they may be updating it. 

• Like 1

The XW-PD1 already saw an update to Trackformer Studio computer app as well as released new sequence and sample data for the Trackformer.  That can be found here... http://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=20 ...along with many more updates for other products, many of which are suggestions from users on this forum and the Facebook groups. Casio does indeed support their products and listens.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BradMZ said:

Under PC application. Trackformer Studio V1.0.1.  This replaces V1.0.

Under Data - Digital Dance Music Gear - Additonal phrase sets and sequence data. 

Cool! How recent are these upgrades? I'm asking because the other updates have dates and the ones you are referring to doesn't. 

12 hours ago, BradMZ said:

The latest thing to be released was the additional data packs earlier this year.  There are also a free sample pack from Casio Brazil.    http://casioteclados.com.br/electronic-dance-music/xw-pd1

Sounds ok,  but I just purchased mine last month. Do you think that update is reflected? Also it's cool that Casio has different regions to cater to, but wouldn't it be better to just centralize everything? If you didn't mention the sample pack, I wouldn't have known. Imagine how many others are missing out on this. Why not just make one website where all Casio's customers can frequent? Not complaining just typing out loud. Casio is a great company that I grew up with, but some of their business practices are a bit outdated.

Also their focus is a bit shortsighted in the audio production category in regards to computer connectivity. Modern producers should feel confident and reassured with Casio's products like say a Korg or a Roland piece. There was one time where I didn't take Yamaha gear seriously, but now, to me, they are one of the defacto manufacturers of quality audio production tools.  Casio should be taken serious, especially with all of their technologies.  They could become a dominant contender with top brass artists utilizing their tools. I understand Casio's market but still,  where are their computer interfaces, their synth modules or their analog type products? Why aren't they getting their products into the hands of reputable A list artists and not these run of the mill acts????

Anyways just a bit of a rant that I had to get off of my chest. I just take it personal, a bit, considering my history with Casio's products. My first electronic keyboard was a Casio and to have people mock and jeer when they see me using a Casio product is saddening. 

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know where I can get one of these.  I was wanting 2 of them.  Bought one for a friend for £79 at gear4music.com but it was the last one.  Now searching everywhere for one but they're all out of stock or listed on Amacon fro a few hundred.  Not paying that for one though.

Any ideas... European stores are fine if they ship to UK.

Would have loved it in black or white.  The red I think makes it look quite toyish and probably stopped it from selling more.  I just love the tons of features on it.  So few devices like this.  The non-existence of midi sync is a bit of a crazy mistake though. 

20 minutes ago, reggiegimmix said:

The non-existence of midi sync is a bit of a crazy mistake though. 

I think that was a decision based on how they thought how people would be using MIDI with them: as a master controller to send full sequence data to soft synths. The fact there is no 5 pin MIDI supports that notion. That being said,  I do know more than a few people who passed on the PD1 because no MIDI DIN and no Sync - so it's good feedback for Casio for their next groove box. :2thu:

20 minutes ago, Scott Hamlin said:

I think that was a decision based on how they thought how people would be using MIDI with them: as a master controller to send full sequence data to soft synths. The fact there is no 5 pin MIDI supports that notion. That being said,  I do know more than a few people who passed on the PD1 because no MIDI DIN and no Sync - so it's good feedback for Casio for their next groove box. :2thu:

I hope that their next groovebox is something substantial because Akai just released their standalone MPC's and producers will be super focused on those products. 

4 hours ago, MIDI said:

I hope that their next groovebox is something substantial because Akai just released their standalone MPC's and producers will be super focused on those products. 

Yes I just saw the new Akai stuff.. very impressive.  My best advice for Casio lovers is to post what you would like to see in a instrument.  Casio really listens to their user base, and while there's no guarantee everything you want will be implemented, they do listen and do what they think is feasible.  The  Privia Pro PX-560 is a perfect example of this.  While the PX-5S is an awesome keyboard, people wanted more: transpose buttons, better display, EXPRESSION PEDAL INPUT, and speakers. Well, that's what they got with the 560/. 

Don't hesitate to start a new thread with your "wish list". Again, no guarantee it will get in, but the Casio guys do monitor this forum and make note of what we are looking ofr. 

14 minutes ago, tuxfriend said:

The new Akai costs 2000 bucks, the Casio was available for much less. Now price is much higher and supply low. Maybe we'll have a classic and the price will be steep soon. ;-)

I'm willing to pay that much for a premium Casio product. Something that I can make the centerpiece of a production studio. 

• 2 weeks later...

Guitar Center in the US has 'em for $99.  I got one last week, in-store.  They had 4 brand new in boxes up on a high shelf, none of them on display.  Loving it!  I certainly wouldn't have paid $299 for it, but at $99, it's great fun.  I see why they languished - I challenged my kids to figure out how to change the sounds the pads made and record a new pattern... no dice!   Compare that to something like the Roland JD-Xi, where anyone can walk right up to it and start making noise.

BUT... wow,  what a lot of great stuff inside once you completely read and understand the tutorial guide.  So many sounds, I really appreciate the huge variety of drum samples.  I have my CTK-7200 running through it, and I will typically:

1. Create a drum pattern of 4 measures or so.  
  2. Create bass line using the solo synth bank.
  3. Record pad and melody voices from my CTK-7200 as samples (I wish they had split the memory a little differently and maybe had 8 9 second samples available, but I understand it's primarily a drum box.  Still, 3 seconds is plenty long enough for a lot of melody work, you just have to chain them together.
  4. Either perform "live" into my Windows machine, or record the tracks/samples individually into Podium (free DAW) and put them together there.  

Can't seem to get the Assignable fader to do anything to the effects - I have it set to EFT, but I have yet to hear any difference in an effect when I manipulate it.  I also can't for the life of me get any kind of useful effect knob recording happening.  I gave up on that and now just use the effects "live" as I record into Podium on my Windows machine.  

I feel that if they had made it a rectangle, given it an LCD screen (even 2 lines!) and used a more traditional scroll wheel/enter interface for setting things up, they would have been selling these for $399 all day long.  But.. I guess it wouldn't be a Casio then. :)   

• 3 weeks later...
On 13.9.2016 at 11:05 AM, tuxfriend said:

It's in Germany, at several shops (voelkner, digitalo, Conrad). The XW-DJ1 is even cheaper: 59 EUR!

I bought my PD1 5 months ago for 149 bucks. Now the PD1 and the DJ1 are really cheap ...

Now the DJ1's price has come even further down -  €21.50, as supplies last:

https://www.conrad.de/de/dj-controller-casio-xw-dj1-1339319.html

If only the app were available for Android ...