Video Files on Forum ×

Patch Remain

AlenK

I decided to experiment with the XW-P1's support of "patch remain," which is the ability to retain a given patch (tone) on held notes while switching to a different tone. I don't think a full accounting has been posted before so here's what I found:

(1) Patch remain is fully supported when switching between PCM tones.

(2) Patch remain is fully supported when switching between PCM tones and drawbar-organ tones, in either direction.

(3) Patch remain is supported when switching FROM a PCM tone to a Hex Layer tone or a solo-synth tone. It is NOT supported going the other way. Solo-synth and Hex Layer tones will cut off abruptly when you switch to a PCM tone.

(4) Patch remain is not supported when switching between solo-synth, hex-layer and drawbar-organ tones. That shouldn't be a surprise because these modes are all mutually exclusive; you can only run one of them at any given time.

Note that since there is only one "normal" DSP effect, switching to a tone in TONE mode that has an active "normal" DSP effect will immediately apply that effect to the held notes' tone as well as to the new tone. If you switch tones in PERFORMANCE mode, the DSP effect you will hear depends on a number of other parameters. 

PS. I don't know if the G1 works the same way, which is why I haven't posted this in the XW General Discussion section. I have learned it is unwise to make assumptions about what works or does not work on that model!

PPS. If you use the technique I described here to select from sixteen tones using the sequencer step buttons, you don't get any patch remain at all, unfortunately. 

Its a first I've heard of this term it works the same on the G1, Patch remain lets you switch between 

two Performances as long you're doing it between two selected ones the tones remain, however  if 

a third one is selected notes will drop off. Its the same for tones also. 

Solo-synth will cut off tones or notes quickly on the G1 it still remains for some but that depends on 

how the solo-synth tone is constructed. 

Good subject.