Jokeyman123

Casio MT-600

Uh-oh! Just got one of these.................

casio mt600.jpg

it's supposedly broken and I am hooked on forever fixing and modding keyboards. This one looks kind of cool since ot has midi in and out ports, a pitch control a few interesting sounds and costs 5.00 US on eBay! (shipping added 5x that amount though. Still for roughly 30 bucks US it looks like a fun little instrument. Wow I am hooked on my Casio stuff. i passed on a CZ230s broken and an HT700, but since I've used older Casios for quite awhile, I guess I couldn't resist the "cheese" factor of some of these older instruments-which have some very surprisingly good sounds for messing around.

just discovered something v...e...r...y.... interesting. this is pretty "modable". i found some Youtube videos and at least one website that describes how to hack into this for i recall resonance and filter sweeps! Hmmmmmm.........could be very fun. hello Cyberyogi, what can you tell me about this?

The MT600 is basically a pre-set version of the HT700. Despite having no functions to modify any of the sounds, it still has the onboard analogue filter as used in the HT/ HZ series. You can tap into this filter and use external controls to manipulate it.

There are mods online for the HT's, and if you find the same filter components on the MT600's circuit board, you can take control of its filter also.

I didn't see the description of how he wired that in. Picking up my MT-600 this week, it is sitting in my post office-12 mile drive. so glad the post office is too lazy to deliver packages to my house. Will definitely be doing at least the filter mod. With all the complexities and advanced features of everything else taking up space here, this looks like it could be a real fun instrument to noodle on. I had my wake up call when I saw "Marco" and his trio (he's my close buddy's nephew who I've known since he was born-yeah I'm that old-perform live. He uses among other things the last i saw him-an old Wurlitzer electric piano, and old beat-up Hammond with the legs cut off (must have stolen it from my friend Robbie-we did this so it would fit on stage with all our other hideous noise-makers) plus a Mattel "Speak and Spell" heavily modded and a few other toy instruments-including a little Casio but i couldn't see too clearly, i think is was the VL-1, again must have been modded considering the sounds coming out of that thing!  Sort of like the old Tony Williams Lifetime/Larry Young on organ style, very different and "organic" oops, I make joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Young_(musician)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tony_Williams_Lifetime

Well, well. Turns out theis "non-working" Casio just needed the right AC wall-wart-it needed a tip negative as many Casios do, and it shipped with a tip-positive. Just read the fine print, plugged in my tip negative 9V supply and bingo it works perfectly! Hoo-haa, i cleaned it up and will be ripping into the mods today.

To quote Ren and Stimpy-happy happy joy joy!

ren and stimpy.jpg