Grand Piano PX-360 vs GP on FA-08.

sslyutov

My review definitely can be called Grand Piano PX-360 vs FA-08.
I have never realized before how important in PX for me the sound of the grand piano.
Recently I had pretty unusual experience with my PX-360 and brand new FA-08.
A few days ago I went to closest guitar center and traded PX 360 for FA-08.

Some credits towards FA-08. The build is strong. Front bottom part is a metal chassis. The keys are awesome - very solid, perfectly aligned and quiet. Mechanical noise by far less then on Privia.

The Sampler works great. The sequencer is Ok. UI is intuitive but requires too much actions for every recording.
DAW integration - depends on DAW. Studio One and Cubase AI both were up in minutes.

The bank of sounds is huge. Some patches do not require any skills to play interesting phrases :). That is true.

However all this would make sense if Grand Piano would sound as one at least for 50%.

There are many piano patches included on FA-08. I am talking only about SuperNatural Grand Piano. There are three of them.

The velocity impacts the sound temperament very unevenly.
High velocity makes bright, rich sound (which is normal). Low velocity makes sound dark and mushy (too mushy).  It was sounding kind of acceptable as long as I was playing individual notes. Once I start playing some musical pieces the sound changed. It started floating like a surface of s slough and sounds so synthetic. I was shocked by such bad quality (which is called Super Natural). 
Of course I did not give up fast. I dived into all possible settings which organised extremely well and easy to understand and adjust. spent all day and another one but could not get satisfying results.
Grand Piano must be perfect for any product of this class.

I had to get down on my knees and beg GC manager to return my PX back ;)
There is a time to say big thanks to GC for understanding. 

I am not saying that PX is perfect (but who knows?). 
The sound of grand piano on Privia by far more natural than on FA-08. It has overwhelmed all incredible features of FA-08.
A few words about other sounds - PX has higher quality sounds than FA-08 for my taste. Overall the sound from PX is more crisp and clear, transparent. 

In addition I want to make a couple of notices.

I saw another review from a bass player whi was very unhappy about quality of bass sets of FA-08. He expressed exactly the same feelings as I had about piano. I did not pay close attention to bass section. It seems like if you need one instrument to be perfect FA is not an option in such case.

It has happened that this time Casio won the competition. However Roland Fantom by far better in many other aspects. For instance the keyboard on Roland is much quieter. The keys are aligned better than on Privia. I would appreciate if Privia would be built with a quality like that.