Hi,

I have a CTK6200, and also I have a problem..

When I play a midi file from the SD card, how can I set my keyboard channel to a midi channel?

So, I want to play a midi channel. 

I use to change some midi file, and add control change or program change etc..

But when I play the midi file, not changing my tones or volume or anything.. I think this is can working when I can reserve a midi channel for me..

I hope you can understand what I wrote.

Thanks in advance

The MIDI file player on the CTK/WK-6XXX/7XXX Models is exactly that - a "player"  It is not a "sequencer".  It does not allow recording or editing.  While the MIDI file is playing, you can use the keyboard's "MIXER" feature to turn parts on/off, change a part's instrument, volume, pan, reverb, chorus, etc, but any changes made will last only for the current session.  When a different MIDI file is selected, or the keyboard is powered off, any changes will be lost.  Permanent editing of the above parameters would require the MIDI file to be loaded into an external or PC-based sequencer (DAW) and edited there. 

You may select the voices (tones) of your choice and play along with a MIDI file, but the respective "channels" are pre-selected by the keyboard and can not be changed.  The "main" keyboard tone will play on Channel A01, the "Layer" tone will play on Channel A02, and the "Split" tone will play on Channel A03.  The other "A" Channels (A04 through A16) are reserved for Auto-accompaniment and will not play during MIDI file playback.  The MIDI file plays back on Channels B01 through B16, so there is no chance of interference between MIDI file playback channels and locally played channels.  Here again, anything "played along" with a MIDI file can not be recorded to it.  That would require the MIDI file to be played back on an external or PC-based sequencer (DAW) as keyboard play is recorded into it.  Keybed MIDI data is output to the USB port during MIDI file playback, but not the MIDI file player's.  That is, MIDI file playback can not be sent to an external or PC-based sequencer (DAW).  The MIDI file would need to actually be played on the external device in order to record or overdub local keyboard play into it.

Ted.

This summer I saw a number of performers (guitar players) using a laptop as a band in a box playing midi's or karaoke files as their backup band..    My first thoughts were to use the  Casio keyboard as the output to get a better sound than a laptop.   Or better yet, play them from the Casio without a laptop.    From what you have just described above, the midi file or karaoke file would have to be edited then to route  the midi tracks to non-GM instruments for better playback.  So merely using the CTK/WK as the midi file player may not produce any better sounds than the laptop.  Changing in the mixer as you describe would be almost impossible in a live performance.   Seems to me the Casio should give a superior sound however.   

Josh

CTK-900

WK-7500

Josh

You are correct.  Unless you were to edit a GM voiced MIDI or karaoke file on a computer-based sequencer to embed the MSB/LSB codes for selecting the CTK/WK native (panel) voices, there would probably not be much improvement, although I do have to say that the GM voices of my CTK-7000 and WK-7500 are distinctly better than those of my old Roland SC-88 and a vast improvement over the Microsoft Wave Table Synth, but not quite as good as the GM voice banks in my Yamaha arrangers.  Revoicing song files can very quickly turn out to be way more work than was originally estimated.  Once you start remixing instruments, you have to also adjust volumes and panning and reverb sends and chorus sends, and other DSP settings, and on, and on, and on.  Quite often, I end up asking myself if it was really worth it.  As long as I select an appropriate quality main/lead voice(s), can the audience really hear the difference in the backing tracks, or even care, for that matter?  This very topic gets completely beaten to death on a routine basis on a couple of other forums I belong to, and we really never do come up with a definitive answer.

Regards,

Ted

Well said Ted. The other alternative to the Microstuff internal sound engine is to use soundfonts which can be of much higher quality (I don't hear much of a difference frankly even with the best ones with some exceptions) along with a software engine (I use Coolsoft) to play midi files with soundfonts. This is nice to dabble with at home, but if I were needing to do this on gigs, and I have, I am always very nervous about driving my setlists with a computer.

I am old-school and still think a hardware-based module is less flaky in a live setting-mostly due to the unreliable nature of AC power in many places I've played. I recently attended a large business event and a very fine solo guitarist was using some kind of midi player setup as his accompaniment and again I agree, most audiences wouldn't know the difference between the various midi file players anyway. I'm just glad i can get through a gig without someone coming up to me and asking me if their drunken brother-in-law can play my keys, drums or anything else on stage, except maybe the mike stand. Anybody that can turn a mike stand into a musical instrument, I'd sit back to watch that one. :banghead:

Went to a music event with a duet of wife singing and husband playing piano on a Yamaha Tyros 4 using the T4 as a backing band last year.   In talking with them during a break,  he purchases his tracks from commercial producers for the songs they play..   The idea is the song is set up for the T4 without him doing any modifying for the Tyros.   The backing band sound was excellent but lacked punch.   Will those Yamaha styles convert totally on the MZ-X and route to non GM tones?    

Does the audience care?    I think as long as what they hear sounds reasonable,  they are satisfied.

Couldn't agree more about using a laptop driving a gig,  not to mention fiddling around on the computer searching for songs.   It's bad enough bringing up registration banks with a number .

CTK-900

WK-7500

• 2 weeks later...

Most pre-packaged midi files I have used (there are thousands avaialable) lack punch IMO because there is so little expressivity with these-primarily regarding dynamics. it's as if these files were all created with non-velocity or pressure sensitive keyboards, so the subtle variations in dynamics, accents and even timing (back-phrasing or pushing the tenmpo) that musicians are constantly creating in live performances intuitively just don't exist. with many of these commercial arrangements. Fortunately, lead vocals or instrumental parts played live with these accompaniments tend to be the focus, the dominant quality-which if done well can mask the lifelessness of many midi files. 

Quantization can be a necessary evil, but lately I have been recording many of my tracks without it, without a metronome, trying to capture my tracks on the first take. Anyone who has done session work knows-the first take when recording many times ends up being the best, flaws and all, before you beat it to death with overdubbing, pitch correction, reverb and other assorted digital gazoongas that can make a weasel fart sound like the NY Phiharmonic (sadly).and of course classical repertoire, (with the possible exception of some of Bach's Inventions) loses alot if forced into unlifelike rhythmic constancy. Just my opinion.

Your opinion is not alone   I've seen people complaining that most keyboards today sound too mechanical, too perfect.   There are some that say they can pick out a keyboard in auto accompaniment mode and/or playing midi's.   I've sifted through the many midi's myself and get frustrated by how many bad songs are there in midi land.   Then once in a while you catch a brilliantly  executed song.  There are some newer keyboards boasting that a few tone's are now "realistic" trying to mimic actual instruments, not just a sample.   And true, the audience will focus on the live performance not the midi playing in the background.   

I got used to playing the organ with the expression pedal in gigs.   The Hammond was set to play clean for most of the pedal but when floored she goes into overdrive and gets the classic growl.  So I bought a foot operated volume control for gigs with the WK7500.   At least my right foot has something to do other than tap. 

I really want to try out the new  MZ -X that has an expression pedal.  

CTK-900
WK-7500