Alternative metronome?

bahman

Is it possible to create a new metronome-like pattern/rhythm in the PX-560? I just wanted a rhythm that produces a beat at each count without the emphasis (bell or similar) on the downbeat. I often use an external metronome but I would like an internal metronome when using headphones. I also have read about a metronome solution for the PX-5S in this forum but unfortunately it seems it does not apply to the PX-560.

So, I have tried recording a file with the MIDI recorder that is just a couple of measures long using a drum sound at each beat count and then quantizing the track afterwards. This works as intended. I then try playing back the MIDI file with repeat on to get the metronome-like sound. The problem is that the MIDI player seems unable to make a seamless transition between the end of the track and the start of the repeat. I have tried adding rests at the beginning and end of the track, but there is always an uneven gap when the MIDI file repeats.

Is there any way to create/edit a pattern/rhythm that resembles a metronome? Or is it possible to repeat a MIDI file seamlessly? Or would it be just simpler to use an external PC to create a really long MIDI file with the beats and then copy it to the PX-560? Maybe a better solution is just connecting my smartphone where I have a metronome app to the PX-560 via aux or line-in, but then I need to buy a cable to be able to do that. 

I used my PC to create a loooooong MIDI file with a simple wood block sounding at each beat and imported it into the PX-560. This workaround solves my problem as I can speed up and slow down its tempo during playback. So, now I have a metronome without downbeat emphasis.

Anyway, I still would like to know whether it is actually possible to create a rhythm in the PX-560. I found no way to create a repeatable rhythm pattern. It seems that if I want to edit/create a MIDI file with a rhythm pattern then I would have to play the entire rhythm section from beginning to the end. Am I wrong? I also tried editing one of the existing rhythms but I could only change the mixer settings and the instruments of each part. I found no way whatsoever to edit/change or define a rhythm pattern.

This issue would be minimized if the 560 could correctly repeat a MIDI file, but its MIDI player introduces a gap at the end of a track before repeating it, which makes it useless for repetitions. Maybe this will get corrected in a firmware update.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2016 at 4:18 PM, arcturus said:

Maybe a better solution is just connecting my smartphone where I have a metronome app to the PX-560 via aux or line-in, but then I need to buy a cable to be able to do that.

Sounds like you've found a solution, but buy the cable anyway.  It's cheap, and if not this time, it'll be useful another time.  I use it to play along with iReal Pro or recordings.

• 6 months later...

Arcturus,

I would like to know from beginning to end the steps you took for the final solution. I have been thinking about this same thing and figured I was going to be stuck with creating my own beat from the beginning to the end (and again for every change in beat (not tempo) I want).

Thanks,

On 10/7/2016 at 3:48 PM, arcturus said:

If anyone is interested, I found that it is possible to set the number of metronome beats to zero in the settings menu and therefore remove the accent metronome sound.

It's actually mentioned on page 19 of the User's Guide:

"Specifying 0 will cause each beat to be indicated by the. same sound. This setting lets you practice with a steady beat."

• Like 1