some overly loud notes; repair estimate?

deliusfan@outlook.com

I have just come into possession of a PX130 that my business partner has finally upgraded after a good 4 years of me banging on it in lessons. I have two or three (one pretty regularly, the others intermittently) that are registered too fast an attack and are screamingly loud. There are some Casio repair shops in my area; has anyone had this issue addressed and repaired, and if so, what is a ballpark figure (per note, or per service, whatever) I could expect to shell out? Considering I now have this keyboard for free, as long as the repair isn't too expensive, it will be worth it.

Thanks,

Michael

• 1 month later...

I don't think dirt can cause it (these contact pads are well protected from dust - see my photos in the post). I successfully fixed the same issue on my Casio PX-135 by replacing bottom (double-padded) contact strips for the defective keys. See the detailed description here:

It is for PX-135, but PX-130 should be very similar.

The cost to replace all seven 12-key stripes is 2$ x 7 + 13$ shipping to Canada = 27$. It wasn't in stock, but it was delivered in one month. The fix takes half a day (to disassemble and re-assemble the keyboard; the fix itself takes seconds.) No special tools are required: only a few screw drivers, and lots of patience and attention.

If you pay somebody to do this, the cost can easily be 2-3 hundred bucks as it takes a lot of time to disassemble/assemble the keyboard, even for professionals.

EDIT: Of course it is entirely possible that your issue is caused by a different problem (e.g. just dust). But given how cheap these replacement contact pads are, and how much time it takes to disassemble and re-assemble the piano, it makes a total sense to have them in hand before attempting the disassembly.

Edited by puslar123