Video Files on Forum ×

MZ-X500 vs px-560M -software comparison-

88Keys

You might consider this is an odd comparison to make. But other than the obvious physical differences, are there software differences between these two keyboards?

Both seem to have have the exact same software operating system: with sounds and rhythms, MIDI recorder, pattern/style sequencer, hex editor, music presets, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the sounds/patches and sequencer files were even compatible between the two.

Price is very close as well. That was kind of surprising to me. 

I don't think it's an odd comparison at all. I'd be willing to bet that not only are there many similarities in software but that some of the underlying hardware is the same too. And I'm not just talking about the touchscreen, which is obvious; I'll bet that circuit diagrams for the two would show many similarities if not identical sections. The two models might even share a circuit board or two although that is far less likely.

While there ARE many obvious differences between the two models, the underlying fundamental development resources (software & circuits) have clearly been shared.

Similar on the surface, yes.  If you want all the bells and whistles you need the MZX.  The MZ-X500 is more complex in almost every way.  About the only thing more detailed on the PX-560 are the added piano effects like string and damper resonance.  Rhythms are more complex, registration management is more detailed, upper and lower parts are more flexible, tone editing has more options, it has a pattern sequencer (PX-560 does not) and rhythm import converter, midi recorder with event editing, audio player with center cancel, expansion memory for adding new sample wav data and many more smaller details.  The choice depends on your focus really.  Are you more piano oriented or workstation oriented? 

By the way, tones are not compatible between the two.  

It was my understanding from reading the manual that the "pattern sequencer" is really just a way to make your own styles. It looks quite limited. It doesn't seem to be a true pattern sequencer where you string together your patterns in any order you like similar to the way ableton live arrange view might work. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The px560m has a similar style creator. 

All interesting points, Brad, but you seem to be assuming 88keys posted because he (she?) is trying to decide between the two models. He or she may well be, in which case everything you say should aid the decision. If it wasn't clear before your answer it should be clear now; that while the PX-560 has some arranger features it is not in fact an arranger. And while it has some "workstation" features it is not a workstation. 

But I took his/her post at face value; that he/she was merely commenting on some obviously similar design elements. I know what you mean by "similar on the surface." But from a product-design perspective, in another sense the similarities actually run "deep," assuming I am correct that the two models share _some_ of same code and circuits (which, from a development perspective is the smart thing to do). 

Casio definitions may help.  

Rhythm Editor:  With this tool, your choice of any existing parts from preset rhythms can be assembled and remixed to create a rhythm. The user cannot record new note data.

Pattern sequencer: This tool is for recording rhythms from scratch. Quantize, copy, paste, event editing, etc. are all there.  

The PX-560 has a rhythm editor. The MZ-X series has a pattern sequencer.  

Yes Alan, I would argue that all of the latest Casio keyboards with touch screen share the exact same CPU/mainboard and probably most of the chips are exactly the same. Even though one board has more sounds or features than the other, it would be more cost effective for Casio to mass produce a single mainboard for all devices, and turn features on and off by firmware for each unit.    It also allows Casio to charge wildly different prices for a very similar product. (Cgp700 vs px560m as an example)

On a side note, I've owned some Casio workstations in the past where the value for dollar spent was incredible. I think my WK-3000 was under $300. And it's still such a good sounding board.  The MZ-X500 on the other hand is priced basically the same as other low cost workstations. $1100. So the value proposition is a lot harder to swallow this time around.