Video Files on Forum ×

Can I use the WK 7500 as a sound module?

Autolycus

What I mean to say is, with the right converter (since the WK 7500 doesn't have a standard MIDI connection) can I use a MIDI foot controller (The one I have is the Behringer FCB1010) to access the sounds on the WK 7500? 

To give an idea of what I'm doing, I'm in a band where I sometimes want to play bass lines with my feet. The bass guitar sounds on the WK7500 are quite good, and I just want to be able to access those sounds with the Behringer. I DON'T want to have to use a computer (causes too many concerns for live gigs). Obviously I could just buy a suitable sound module for the Behringer (such as the Alesis Nanobass) but I'm trying to avoid the extra expense since I have a perfectly suitable bass sound already.

Any solutions?

Thanks

• Like 1

Since the FCB-1010 has only the 5-pin-DIN MIDI connections and the WK-7500 has only a USB-MIBI connection, you would need some type of intelligent "HOST" device (a computer or some type of stand-alone unit like the iConnectMIDI2) to translate the 5-pin-DIN RS-232C communications protocol to the USB-MIDI communications protocol.  This can not be done with simple "wiring" adapters.  The translation requires active intelligent (processing) components.

iConnectMIDI2:

http://www.iconnectivity.com/iConnectMIDI2plus

• Like 1

The Tascam unit would not work for you at all.  It is an AUDIO interface - not a MIDI interface.  The M-Audio unit would work for you - after a fashion, but since it contains no stand-alone HOST processing capability, it would still require a computer - which you have stated that you do not want.  Basically, the M-Audio unit just interfaces the 5-pin-DIN-MIDI connectors of your foot pedal unit to a USB port on your computer, where as the iConnectMIDI2 unit takes the place of a computer, without all of the unreliable frailties of a computer.

• Like 1

I am not completely sure the iconnectivity is a true stand-alone midi host. The website is not clear on this. Ted have you tried this with keyboard alone? I need the same but have hesitated due to the expense of the Kenton-a company called Ghost makes a stand-alone box too but it's even more expensive. And I've used Midisport boxes. Ted is absolutely right. It is not a midi host box. It just provides additional midi din ports for instruments that have them already. There are other true midi host boxes but the price only goes up. 

• Like 1

Johnathon !

Many thanks !  I stand completely corrected.  The webpage banner for the iConnectMIDI2+ bills it as:

"Mulit-host 2X2 MIDI interface with Audio passThru"

Without reading the fine print, I have been taking the word host to mean the it was a host device, but after finally reading the fine print, I see that it really means that it will connect to two host devices (computers) - not that it is a host device itself.

Once again, I have come up short by violating my own policy of not giving advice on equipment to which I do not have direct access, or on procedures that I do not use myself.  For that, I thoroughly apologize to Autolycus and now advise him to disregard everything I have posted above and to seek advice from those who have direct access to, or own/use, the equipment in question.  Perhaps this time I will learn my lesson, so as not to mislead others.

Regards,

Ted

• Like 1

Some time ago I was researching my options, and I found the following two:

1. http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

2. http://compasflamenco.com/usb-host-midi-p-6.html?language=en

I also saw the iConnect things, but wasn't sure it actually would fulfill my needs.

(Disclaimer: I ended up just plugging my keyboard into my laptop, so it's not like I have actual experience with these devices).

• Like 2

Ted, don't be so hard on yourself! The iconnectivity boxes are a little unclear on this point, I almost bought one thinking this served the same function as the Kenton's. and shiihs, there it is-both your links are what you are looking for. I am particularly interested in the 2nd, which I have not seen until now, and looks more affordable than the Kenton.

I sometimes comment on technical problems without having owned one. We're not perfect, and isn't it good we can support and add to each other's knowledge here without slamming each other (or ourselves!). I love this forum because of that-it stays open regardless of our level of experience.

The frustrating aspect to this, and this is to shiihs as well, is that there is such a limited market of available true midi host boxes working as true midi din to usb converters, and repeating myself, these are pretty costly considering these are "one trick ponies" that serve only the one purpose with no other functionality. and many of us besides myself surely have quite a few midi din devices as well as usb only devices. I too would rather a dedicated box than a computer for taking out to a gig and in my already complex setups, a simple box is much better-especially if (when) I drop it.:banghead: last laptop i dropped didn't do too well.

• Like 1

Just checked out the Sevillasoft box-to the US, shipping is 13.00 so total is 85.00 This is a really good price for this, beats the others by quite a bit.  Looks like just what I was looking for. Thanks autolycus for getting this search going again. Looks like we all benefit. I'm pretty sure there will be others here interested in this box since several WKs do not have din connectors, as do many newer modules and usb controller keyboards. I will be ordering one and will post results.

• Like 1