Video Files on Forum ×

Casio support has not responded

cmhorka

Called Casio support last week with two questions. They were not able to answer either, but promised to have tier 2 support call me in 24-48 hours, "depending how busy they were". Never receive a call back. So, I just purchased this unit last week and will return it if the service remains this unresponsive. Meanwhile, maybe some kind soul here knows the answer to my questions.

1) Midi selections play fine on the MZ-X500 when driven by my PC using VanBosco music player; USB cable connection. The same file plays incorrectly when loaded from the USB device into keyboard memory. The rhythm track in particular is always wrong, playing a voice vs a drum set. My assumption is the keyboard is misinterpreting the track info. Fixes? 

2) Should the SMF Converter program be able to send its data to the keyboard through the USB cable? When I try this, the PC error message states the keyboard can not be found. I've loaded the indicated Windows 8.1 driver. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

You can only send MIDI data over the USB port cable. You can not send file data. File data must be saved on a Flash Drive on your computer, then plugged into the X500 Flash Drive port.

All midi files are not created equal.  You could post an example of a MIDI file you are having issues with here and we could take a look at it.

Drum tracks on MIDI files are usually found on Track 10. Depending on the source of your MIDI file, the DRUM track may not be on Track 10. VanBasco might be automatically compensating for the Drum track location, i.e. It sees drum information on track 9 but send it out on track 10.  

This forum and the Facebook MZ-X users group (link below in my signature) are your support resources.  These resources are better than most anything out there.  

1) Make sure your MZ-X is updated to the latest firmware and we'll go from there. System settings>information>firmware version 1.31 is the latest.  

2) SMF converter http://music.casio.com/e/smf/    <<<That software is not designed for the MZ-X series.  As Rick said, all file transfers are done via usb flash drive.  

21 hours ago, Rick Sterling said:

You can only send MIDI data over the USB port cable. You can not send file data. File data must be saved on a Flash Drive on your computer, then plugged into the X500 Flash Drive port.

All midi files are not created equal.  You could post an example of a MIDI file you are having issues with here and we could take a look at it.

Drum tracks on MIDI files are usually found on Track 10. Depending on the source of your MIDI file, the DRUM track may not be on Track 10. VanBasco might be automatically compensating for the Drum track location, i.e. It sees drum information on track 9 but send it out on track 10.  

Thanks so much for your response. Here's where I am so far:

- V 1.31 firmware installed

- Midi files playing incorrectly when loaded into keyboard memory from USB

- Ran midi file through SMF converter (thinking that was the problem)

- SMF software presents the option to send the converted file directly to the keyboard

- When selecting that option, software reports keyboard can not be found

- Still no callback from Casio as promised

I've attached one of the files that the MZ-X500 can't play correctly when loaded into memory.

TIA - Chris

Africa.mid

As I said, SMF converter is not for the MZ-X series.  It was released over 10 years ago for models of that time period.  

To fix your file, load it into the midi recorder for playback.  From the midi recorder playback screen press monitor.  Touch solo track 10 name to select it and press edit>event edit. Delete all but the last piano tone event.  Touch the last piano tone event to highlight it and change it to GM Various>Drums.