Volume Jumping w/ Expression Pedals

rich.o

I'm about to purchase a Px-560 - could anybody check how the expression pedal sends midi cc11 out  via midi or usb - is it in a smooth or jumpy way? If somebody could test this with a Midi monitor app or something like that, maybe we could see if this is an internal reading problem of the sound engine, or a faulty behaviour of the pedal processing - also affecting midi output? I would be grateful if somebody could hook the Px-560 up to a Mac or PC to check this out!

On 24/03/2017 at 10:38 AM, Dax said:

I'm about to purchase a Px-560 - could anybody check how the expression pedal sends midi cc11 out  via midi or usb - is it in a smooth or jumpy way? If somebody could test this with a Midi monitor app or something like that, maybe we could see if this is an internal reading problem of the sound engine, or a faulty behaviour of the pedal processing - also affecting midi output? I would be grateful if somebody could hook the Px-560 up to a Mac or PC to check this out!

It is jumpy, I have tested it with midi monitor.

I hope Casio pay attention to this issue as it has been proven it's either hardware or firmware issue and fix it if possible.

It's a shame with such great keyboard to be ruined by manufacture mistake.

I hope Casio will come up with a solution soon before it becomes it ruin this keyboard reputation, specially it's if a great keyboard.

• Like 1

Thanx so much for testing, PriviaMan!

Yes, this MUST be sorted out soonest possible! The addition of a (well functioning) expression pedal is the main reason for me to choose PX-560 as a weighted midi companion to my Nord Stage SW73 and MainStage rig. This thread was started in September, and I can't see this problem's been addressed by Casio officials yet? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have no other choice to wait with my purchase, or look to other options. Sad.

(For me it's no solution to use CC#7 Volume messages for the pedal - in MainStage I assign CC#7 to a midi knob controlling the max volume, and the exp. pedal always fading in and out to this max value. MainStage also giving the possibility of ignoring exp.pedal messages, but still controlling volume with the CC#7 knob - i.e. one layer fading in, the other being constant on)

Has anybody contacted Casio support about this?

@PriviaMan: If you have the time to test with Midi monitor again:

- if you select CC#22-31 as target for the expression pedal - is the midi output still jumpy? Thinking of a way to convert signals without using CC#7 which I use for other purposes as mentioned. 

I have also joined the Facebook group for 5s/560 users and asked them to join the discussion here.

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just downloaded and installed firmware update 1.14 and I am thrilled to report that the expression pedal volume "jumping" issues have all but been eliminated.

Haven't checked on any other improvements but all my main registrations work as before with the greatly improved expression pedal function.

Thank You Casio for listening and correcting this issue!

Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlenK said:

But, I gotta ask. What does "all but been eliminated" mean? Is there something of it left? 

So far so good, but for me with my tried and true Roland sustain pedal it is not as smooth as many/most other keyboards I've owned; but I am not complaining, just my observation.

I confirm with 1.14 firmware it has improved the expression pedal issue but still not good enough, still the volume goes from 0 to 127 in the 15% movement of the pedal from lowest position up to 15% it goes to max, which makes it so hard to use, it is almost useless !!!

30 minutes ago, PriviaMan said:

I confirm with 1.14 firmware it has improved the expression pedal issue but still not good enough, still the volume goes from 0 to 127 in the 15% movement of the pedal from lowest position up to 15% it goes to max, which makes it so hard to use, it is almost useless !!!

That's weird, I'm not seeing that.  What pedal are you using, and have you recalibrated it recently?

For what it's worth, I upgraded to 1.14 tonight, recalibrated the expression pedal, then spent 5-10 minutes fooling around with it, listening (controlling filter cutoff on a synth patch), and watching the values (knob1 is set to control the same panel, so you can watch the numbers on the "main" screen).  I don't really have any objective measurements, and this is the first time I've used the pedal in a couple weeks.  But subjectively, it seems good now.  The changes seemed smooth across the range, and I didn't notice any jumping.  I'm using a Roland EV-5, which is one of the pedals that manual claims as supported.

1 hour ago, bfields said:

That's weird, I'm not seeing that.  What pedal are you using, and have you recalibrated it recently?

For what it's worth, I upgraded to 1.14 tonight, recalibrated the expression pedal, then spent 5-10 minutes fooling around with it, listening (controlling filter cutoff on a synth patch), and watching the values (knob1 is set to control the same panel, so you can watch the numbers on the "main" screen).  I don't really have any objective measurements, and this is the first time I've used the pedal in a couple weeks.  But subjectively, it seems good now.  The changes seemed smooth across the range, and I didn't notice any jumping.  I'm using a Roland EV-5, which is one of the pedals that manual claims as supported.

I have Korg EXP-2 and yes I have recalibrated it several times but no luck.

Oh the other thing is the "Auto Power Off" not working anymore, it was working in version 1.10, don't know why nit working anymore, and yes it is switched on.

Not sure what's happening !!

10 hours ago, PriviaMan said:

I have Korg EXP-2 and yes I have recalibrated it several times but no luck.

If it doesn't work well after recalibration then quite likely its circuit is simply incompatible. There is some info here comparing the electrical characteristics of certain pedals: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=51279.0

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm also using the MGEAR EX-P pedal. Switching between M-AUDIO and OTHER and recalibrating makes almost no difference. I find that either the cut-in from 0 to minimal expression volume is too abrupt, and on other occasions I can't seem to fade it back to 0.

I do need to point out that this pedal (like most others) has a minimum limiter dial. I have only attempted calibration with this dial in minimum position and haven't tried calibration of the full expression range with this dial set to any higher value.