Video Files on Forum ×

PX-5s Action

SteveQ

I ordered a PX-5s from Guitar Center, as they don't stock that unit in store. I just got it, and though I think it sounds great, I don't like the action. It is very bouncy. Just holding any key down, then releasing it, produces two complete bounces on the key return. The weight of the keys is ok, a little light actually, but the bounciness really makes it feel clumsy to me. I played a PX 150 and 350 in the store, and I liked both. I assumed that they would have the same action. But it seems not to be the case. All of the reviews that I have seen online praise the action of this KB. I frankly can't believe the number of people who rave about the action on this keyboard. Is it possible that it could be my particular unit? Does this model have to "play-in" for a while? Anybody else have this experience? The key clunk is also very loud,  but I could deal with that if the action were better. I may end up returning it.
Show less

16 hours ago, BradMZ said:

Something definitely sounds off here since you played both a 150 and 350 and like them.  The PX-5S has the same action as those models and should feel exactly the same. 

Nope there is slightly a difference the PX5S is around for a while so there probably a minor upgrade in the action. 

A few months ago I went to the local music shop (well local they always far to travel to) and they finally had the PX360

while playing it I discovered instantly it felt different very nice, actually a bit like how the 61 Kronos felt, ( a bit on the surface ). 

First I though it must be getting used to the key's of the PX5s mind you I found them heavy to the touch at first and didn't know you

could change touch sensitivity. Later on definitely noticed this difference by playing both of them either way they both sturdy and great.

But the PX360 had an action pretty nice to the touch it felt pro like, I guess its an minor increment of improvement to the action.   

9 hours ago, XW-Addict said:

First I though it must be getting used to the key's of the PX5s mind you I found them heavy to the touch at first and didn't know you

could change touch sensitivity.

Are you saying that touch sensitivity is a user controllable parameter?

Yes. System settings>general. Touch response can be light, normal, heavy or off.  Also, edit>stage setting>common edit>hammer response can alter feel.  A lower value is faster response time that reduces time between key press and sound generation. Edit>tone>amp>velocity sense can alter feel as well.  Lower values will reduce the affect velocity has on volume.  This is useful for tweaks on a per tone basis. 

• Like 1